Esteemed Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2018 RECIPE GAME

This recipe was originally posted by sue-p back in Jan, 1, 2013.  We often have it on New Year's Day.  It is rich and decadent and a treat.  I serve it with mashed potatoes-don't ask why but the sauerkraut and the potatoes taste so good together!

One 2-3 pound pork shoulder roast

One large jar of sauerkraut (we prefer 2-3 cans of Bush's Barvarian sauerkraut)

Pour the sauerkraut with juices into a 2 inch baking pan.

Lay pork roast on top of sauerkraut with the fat side up.  Seal tightly with aluminum foil to the pan and bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours.  Check with a thermometer to be sure it is done.  Do not add salt as the kraut is usually pretty salty.  I do pepper our meat and you can add garlic if you like-not a taste I care for with sauerkraut personally.  All the drippings from the pork will be in the kraut.  It is very rich.  A simple green salad on the side is nice to cut thru all the richness.   And don't forget those mashed potatoes!

Next ingredient: pork loin roast

Esteemed Contributor

Roasted Pork Loin

Ingredients:

• 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white wine

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 

1. Crush garlic with rosemary, salt and pepper, making a paste. Pierce meat with a sharp knife in several places and press the garlic paste into the openings. Rub the meat with the remaining garlic mixture and olive oil.
  2. Place pork loin into oven, turning and basting with pan liquids. Cook until the pork is no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Remove roast to a platter. Heat the wine in the pan and stir to loosen browned bits of food on the bottom. Serve with pan juices.

Next ingredient:  Raisins

Honored Contributor

Oatmeal RAISIN Cookies

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup RAISINS, stewed in small amount of water

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon all spice

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda

6 Tablespoons RAISIN juice (from water raisins simmered in)

2 cups oatmeal

2 cups flour

Mix butter, sugar and eggs together adding cinnamon, all spice, vanilla and baking soda along with flour and oatmeal.  Then add the RAISINS and juice.  Combine well and place heaping teaspoons (or cookie scoop) of dough on baking sheet.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until they just start to get brown.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... TOMATOES, fresh or canned

Respected Contributor

Easy As Can Be:

TOMATO SALAD

Sliced (I prefer Jersey) large TOMATOES, sliced large bermuda onions, sliced mozzarella cheese, basil leaves and balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil is optional.

Lay the TOMATOES on a plate or platter, then onions, then cheese and repeat, or change up order. Place basil leaves either on top or in between. Splash the balsamic over all. If you choose to use evoo either mix with vinegar or use before vinegar. I've made this with and without the oil. You can also just place all in a bowl, a little chopped up and make it that way. More simple and delicious, one can not get.

Next Ingredient:  APRICOT PRESERVES 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Sticky Spicy Slow-Cooked Ribs  (Pioneer Woman Recipe)

2 racks pork ribs

salt and pepper

1 (13 oz) jar APRICOT PRESERVES

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup yellow mustard

1/4 cup soy sauce

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped

1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped

Hot sauce to taste

3 tablespoons cornstarch

Cut racks into 2-rib pieces, season with salt and pepper and put into a slow cooker.

In a bowl, mix together the APRICOT PRESERVES, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, garlic, chipotles, ginger and hot sauce.  Pour the mixture over the ribs and cover.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

When ribs are cooked, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil.  Carefully remove the ribs from the slow cooker and place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.  Skim the fat from the juices and transfer the juices to a pan.  Place pan on medium-high and bring to a simmer.

Mix the cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.  Stir into the pan and cook until the desired thickness.

Brush the ribs with the sauce and bake, brushing with more sauce every 10-15 minutes, until the ribs are glazed and sticky, about 45 minutes.  Serve with extra sauce.

NEXT INGREDIENT.......COCONUT

Respected Contributor

Ina's COCONUT Macaroons

14 oz sweetened flaked COCONUT, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, 2 extra large egg whites, at room temperature, 1/4 tsp kosher salt.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the COCONUT, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the COCONUT mixture. Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4 inch diameter ice cream scoop or 2 teaspoons.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yields 20-24 cookies.

Recipe courtesy of Ina Garden

Next Ingredient: BARLEY

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

Beef & Barley Soup in pressure cooker

Ingredients:

2 (2.5 lbs) boneless short ribs

Salt and pepper, for seasoning

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 medium onion, medium dice

2 celery stalks, sliced about 1/4" thick

2–3 medium carrots, sliced about 1/4" thick

2 cloves garlic, smashed

5–6 black peppercorns

3–4 sprigs fresh thyme

1/2 bay leaf

1 cup pearl barley

2-1/2 qt beef stock

1-1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Fresh parsley, for garnish

Crusty bread, for serving

Preparation:

Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.

Set a pressure cooker to the brown setting and add the oil. Working in batches, sear/brown the short ribs in large chunks on all sides. Remove and cut them down into 3/4" pieces.

With the pressure cooker still on the brown setting, add the onion, celery, and carrots and sweat them for 4–5 minutes. Put in the garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute. Add the barley, beef stock, red wine vinegar, and fish sauce (if using). Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set for 45 minutes. 

When cooking is complete, quick release the pressure. Garnish the soup with fresh parsley and serve with crusty bread.

Enjoy Foodies!

David  ITKWD

Next ingredients:  Carrots

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes when I was hospitalized. Unfortunately, I caught hospital acquired pneumonia and had to go back in and just got out a few days ago,  I’m thinking hospitals are no place to heal! 

Anyway, humble thanks to you all and keep the recipes coming! I’m starting to get my appetite back-yay!

Parmesan Roasted Carrots

so easy and a nice way to prepare carrots that are more savory than sweet!

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
Total Time
35 mins

Ingredients
8-10 carrots peeled
2 Tbsp butter melted
2 tsp garlic minced
4 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp chopped parsley

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix melted butter and garlic together.
Place carrots on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Drizzle with butter/garlic mixture.
Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
Shake pan ocassionally to rotate carrots.
Top with cheese and roast for another 10 minutes or until carrots reach desired doneness.
Top with parsley and serve immediately

98239834-818D-471B-92C9-95495DC2A196.jpeg

Next Ingredient: POPCORN 

Esteemed Contributor

Image1.jpg

Makes: One 8-inch pizza / 6 slices

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 cup mini marshmallows
  • 3 cups air-popped popcorn
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Line an 8-inch pizza pan or 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
    2.Melt the butter in a large non-stick pot over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir them with a wooden spoon until they are completely melted. Add the popped popcorn and continue to stir well with a wooden spoon until the popcorn is evenly coated.
    3. Immediately transfer the popcorn mixture to the baking pan, and use an extra piece of parchment paper or greased hands to firmly press the popcorn down to 1-inch thickness.
    4. While it is cooling, top with dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, firmly pressing them down.
    5. Once cool, remove from the pan and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut out triangle shapes.

Next ingredient:  Hash Browns

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse, I'm glad you are feeling better. These carrots look wonderful.. I am making them tonight.