Honored Contributor

Re: FAVORITE RECIPE SWAP RECIPES

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RespectLife  I'm guilty as charged (Chicken w/ Orange Pilaf).  It's good to hear you enjoy the recipe as much as we Gs.  I accept that a lot of my recipes are considered too long, so when I post one, I'm never sure if or how well it will be received.  BTW, I differ over one small bit, though -- if using the grill (as opposed to the oven), we see this as a year-round meal.  

@IamMrsG

I thought so, Mrs. G!  It is one of my favorites because it is different...the oranges and apple jelly are such an unexpected ingredient maybe?  Why do I never think of blending flavors like that??!!  So refreshing!  Not your everyday boring chix dish...that's for sure!  Everyone always raves about it!

I so always appreciate your wine pairings!

LOL...it is SO delish...it definitely can be year long in the oven!  LOL  I know many try to avoid the oven in the summer months...I just make DH crank the AC a bit. 

Actually, my oven doesn't throw off that much heat to disrupt the household temps anyways.  I think I have a really good seal on the door!

Thanks again for always sharing with us!

Valued Contributor

Here's a recipe that Carol1229 posted several years ago - I need to make it!! It sounds so delicious, and all the recipes I saved of hers have always been OR sounded delicious!!

*She posted her notes below the recipe.

Carol1229:

PASTA SALAD WITH CHICKEN AND BACON

8 oz. mini penne pasta or macaroni

6-8 slices bacon, diced and cooked until done but not crisp

2 c. diced cooked chicken breast (I don't measure the chicken-I use what I have)

1/2 c. finely chopped red onion

2 plum tomatoes, seeds removed, diced

2 ribs celery, diced

1/3 c. diced red bell pepper

2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

1 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste

Salt, to taste

1/2-3/4 c. mayonnaise

Juice and grated zest of 1 medium lemon

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

A few dashes of hot sauce-probably about 1/4 tsp. if measured (I just eyeball the amount)

Cook pasta following package directions; drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water and drain well.

In a large bowl, combine diced bacon, chicken, red onion, tomatoes, celery, red bell pepper and parsley; toss to blend the ingredients.

Combine 1/2 c. mayonnaise and lemon juice and lemon zest; mix well.

Add garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and salt to taste .

Stir into vegetable mixture until vegetables are coated.

Add pasta; toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, and add a little more mayonnaise if the salad seems too dry.

Refrigerate until serving time. 6-8 servings.

Carol1229 said:

I added some diced red bell pepper since I happened to have a piece of one to use in the refrigerator-I think it added some nice color and crunch. The dressing of the salad the way the recipe is written seemed.........flat. It didn't have enough taste for me. I doubled the garlic powder amount, upped the black pepper and in went some cayenne pepper with a few dashes of hot sauce. Hmmmmmmmmm.....still needed a lift. I had zested the lemon before juicing it just in case I thought the salad could use it..........it could-along with the juice from the other half of the lemon, That was JUST the right touch of freshness that salad needed to brighten it up. Now that I think about it, when I make this again (YES I will!), I'm going to replace the garlic powder with some "pasted" fresh garlic......I think that would add a little something more to the dressing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiamondGirly

Thanks for the pasta recipe!  I don't know why I don't remember to add lemon juice and lemon zest to my pasta salads! 

Carol1229 was/is always one of my favorite posters!

Her recipes never fail!

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl  posted this back in July 0f 2013.  She got it from her Pampered Chef lady.

I have used it many times both as an appetizer and a dessert.  There are many versions out there...FHG is one of my favorites.

It is on the sweeter side with cream cheese and cinnamon.  I have seen recipes similar using goat cheese which I would also love!

I don't have a baking stone and just used a cookie sheet.

This pic is NOT from FHG recipe.  I couldn't get the pic to post here for some reason.

Strawberry Bruchetta

gallery-1432736484-delish-strawberry-bruschetta-1.jpg

20 slices French bread, cut 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lemon
1 container (8 ounces) cream cheese spread
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
Additional powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice bread; place bread slices on baking stone.  Place butter in small bowl; microwave on HIGH 30-45 seconds or until melted.  Brush butter over bread slices.

Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in Flour/Sugar/Shaker; sprinkle evenly over bread slices. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown; remove baking stone from oven to cooling rack.

Meanwhile, zest lemon to measure 1 teaspoon zest. Juice lemon to measure 2 teaspoons juice.

In small bowl, whisk cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth. Hull strawberries and coarsely chop.  Using small scoop, scoop cream cheese mixture over bread slices; spread evenly. Place bread slices on platter; top with strawberries. Sprinkle bruschetta with almonds and powdered sugar, if desired. Serve immediately. 
Yield: 20 servings   

Valued Contributor

@Marylander

Here's one of our favorites! It was posted by Marylander

(I also add -about the last hour - small red potatoes cut into fourths, sometimes, instead of making mashed potatoes. - DiamondGirly)

Marylander said: This may be one already passed around. I needed something quick and easy this week and grabbed this from the internet via a "chicken crockpot" search. The only change I made was using skinless/boneless thighs in lieu of skinless/boneless breasts. Everyone here raved about it, even a fussy teen.

Creamy Crock Pot Chicken

Ingredients:

• 4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • salt and pepper, to taste •dried leaf thyme, to taste
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) cream of chicken soup
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes, can use reduced fat
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery

Preparation:

Place chicken breasts in crockpot. Brush the chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Add herbs and remaining ingredients.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.

*I served with mashed potatoes; the mixture is a gravy-type consistency.

Honored Contributor

This was posted by @Beebee2 back in 2013.  I have made it tons of times.  I have served it over dark greens, romaine, rice and alone.  As stated, it is fantastic in a pita as a light meal or with beef/chix.  Delicious and refreshing!

I especially love the dressing in this recipe.  Thanks BeeBee2 !

Kibbutz Salad

This can be spooned into pita bread along with freshly fried falafel balls or simply served as a salad. It is always made with cubes of vegetables - cucumber, tomato and pepper, cut large or small. It makes a refreshing foil for grilled dishes, but it's equally good with cold poultry and meats. All the salad ingredients and the dressing can be prepared a day ahead, but to retain the characteristic crispness, they are best combined an hour before serving

1 red pepper
1 green pepper
a long hothouse cucumber, unpeeled
4 lge firm ripe tomatoes

Dressing:

3 T sunflower oil
1 T fruity olive oil
1 T wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 level t salt
10 grinds black pepper
1 t superfine sugar
1 T snipped fresh mint, or 1 t dried mint
2 T chopped parsley

Halve and seed the peppers and remove the white pith.

Cut each of the vegetables into even 3/4-inch cubes or squares, then put the tomatoes and peppers into separate bowls, cover and refrigerate.

Put the cucumber cubes into a salad spinner or sieve, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of coarse salt and leave for 30 minutes, then spin or drain and refrigerate.

In a screw-top jar, shake together until thickened all the dressing ingredients, except the fresh herbs. Add the dried mint, if used, and then leave for several minutes to mature in flavor.

Put the cucumber, pepper and tomato cubes into a large bowl, then stir in the chopped parsley and mint, together with the dressing, and mix well, using 2 spoons.

Arrange the salad in a fairly shallow dish; it looks particularly effective against black or white. Serve cool but not chilled.

Valued Contributor

I MISSED THE CARROT CAKE!

Smiley Sad Smiley Surprised

Valued Contributor

You are a healthy cook! Keep giving us more I will follow you.   I love garlic and onions tomatoes I have a hard time with a try to find a way to substitute.

This sounds like Greek food, YUM! 

Valued Contributor

Ok,

I would go from a size 4 to 6 just reading.   I am going to make it now.  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Lemon or hickory smoke seasoning is a favorite to add to most meat.  I am not a cook but love flavor.