Respected Contributor

Re: Extremely salty green bean casserole. What the heck caused this?

Golden Mushroom Soup is available in our Super Target store.  

I still use it to make salisbury steak sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Mindy D  I agree that the canned beans with sea salt were the likely cullprit.  I use either fresh or froze instead. I par boil the fresh ones first when I go that route.

What a disappointment for you after the work of putting aa special meal together.  I hope the rest of your Thanksgiving went well.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

@aroc3435 

The green bean casserole with frozen French green beans tastes SO fresh!  Delish!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Aww, it's sad when you make something special and it doesn't turn out well.  I've never made Green bean cassarole but i just wanted to say that I've found NO SALT canned green beans seem more tender than the salted type when I've used them in recipes. I wasn't expecting that the first time I used no salt green beans. I've used that type ever since.  Hope everything else was Yummy!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Our green bean casserole had to be gluten free so used gluten free mushroom soup.  Too  runny but will add more beans next time and less milk.  

Respected Contributor

Has to be the sea salt, never saw a can that had sea salt. I have kosher salt and that is really salty too. Hardly use it only on frozen mustard pretzels. Thanks for the heads up so if I see a can with sea salt know to rinse it.