Honored Contributor

Re: Extremely salty green bean casserole. What the heck caused this?

My husband makes it from scratch, so we don't get the salt from using canned items.

I am certainly not "anti-canned goods".  Maybe next time try the low salt version.  That should help.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

My cuz told me yesterday she makes hers with Campbells Golden Mushroom Soup instead of the Crean version, said it is delish !!!

Can you still find Golden Mushroom Soup? Seems to have vanished and I love it combined with Tomato soup as a great sauce for chicken. Is it still in the stores anywhere? TIA

Amazon has the Golden Mushroom Soup.

Respected Contributor

i think you should have rinsed the green beans.

Respected Contributor

@Diamonds22 

I just bought some Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup two days ago at the Kroger grocery store.  I rarely use it but needed to buy four cans of Campbell's soup in order to use a discount coupon and I didn't already have that one in the pantry. 

(What I won't do to save some coins........LOL!)

Esteemed Contributor

I remember hearing to add sugar to anything you made that was to salty to try to salvage it

Respected Contributor

I buy fresh green beans and cook them in the pressure cooker.  Then add your other ingredients.  Maybe use Cambells Healthy Request soup which has less salt.

Respected Contributor

@Diamonds22 wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

My cuz told me yesterday she makes hers with Campbells Golden Mushroom Soup instead of the Crean version, said it is delish !!!

Can you still find Golden Mushroom Soup? Seems to have vanished and I love it combined with Tomato soup as a great sauce for chicken. Is it still in the stores anywhere? TIA

Amazon has the Golden Mushroom Soup.

Yup...found it there and ordered a 6 pack (of soup...a first). Nowhere to be found around me. I love Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

You had extra salt from the green beans. The soup and onions have a good bit of salt in them. Maybe it was just the extra from the beans.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't do anything different except for making sure the canned green beans do not have sea salt added! I don't think I've ever seen that with green beans. Either that, or just rinse the beans next time. I'm sure the sea salt was the culprint, especially since there is always an aftertaste with it for me as well. DH loves this casserole, but only with canned green beans and cream of mushroom soup...and the crunchy onions!

Frequent Contributor

I live in Wisconsin and all the grocery stores carry Cambells 

Golden Mushroom soup so it's still available. 

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I wouldn't do anything different except for making sure the canned green beans do not have sea salt added! I don't think I've ever seen that with green beans. Either that, or just rinse the beans next time. I'm sure the sea salt was the culprint, especially since there is always an aftertaste with it for me as well. DH loves this casserole, but only with canned green beans and cream of mushroom soup...and the crunchy onions!

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote: