Esteemed Contributor

Re: Exactly How to Make Melting Potatoes, the Trend That’s Taking Over Pinterest

They look really good but I don't trust recipes from Pinterest anymore.  Too many failures.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Exactly How to Make Melting Potatoes, the Trend That’s Taking Over Pinterest

@CelticCrafter wrote:

They look really good but I don't trust recipes from Pinterest anymore.  Too many failures.

@CelticCrafter I guess I don't understand that comment.  Pinterest is just a place to "pin" something found on the internet.  Much like bookmarking a page, but on a site where others can see it rather than in your browser.  Someone could "pin" a recipe from Allrecipes or FoodNetwork just as easily as pinning a recipe from any other site.  So, just because it is on Pinterest should not make it suspect.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter I guess I don't understand that comment.  Pinterest is just a place to "pin" something found on the internet.  Much like bookmarking a page, but on a site where others can see it rather than in your browser.  Someone could "pin" a recipe from Allrecipes or FoodNetwork just as easily as pinning a recipe from any other site.  So, just because it is on Pinterest should not make it suspect.

@Icegoddess What's not to understand.  I stated that the recipes I found and made from Pinterest were failures so I pass those by now.  I guess they weren't repinned from Allrecipes or Food Network.....

Honored Contributor

What is the herb shown both raw and cooked in the photo?

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

What is the herb shown both raw and cooked in the photo?

@depglass it looks like thyme.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Icegoddess What's not to understand.  I stated that the recipes I found and made from Pinterest were failures so I pass those by now.  I guess they weren't repinned from Allrecipes or Food Network.....

@CelticCrafter, This technique has been around long before the internet and have nothing to do with Pinterest. The French name is pommes fondant. If you google Fondant potatoes you will be able to find the recipe somewhere other than pinterest. I first had them in France and at that time they were not served here that I am aware of. They are delicious and very easy to make.

Respected Contributor

I want some of these.  Yum.

Valued Contributor

I’ll be picking up some Yukon Golds next shopping trip.  Thank you for posting!!

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter, This technique has been around long before the internet and have nothing to do with Pinterest. The French name is pommes fondant. If you google Fondant potatoes you will be able to find the recipe somewhere other than pinterest. I first had them in France and at that time they were not served here that I am aware of. They are delicious and very easy to make.

@tiny 2  - in the OP, the description referred to the Melting Potatoes to be similar to "a bit like poutine". Not familiar to me. Apparently French Canadian -  I hope to someday visit Quebec!  I've been told it's a fabulous fashion and cuisine destination

Poutine is a dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. It originated in the Canadian province of Quebec and emerged in the late 1950s in the Centre-du-Québec area. It has long been associated with Quebec cuisine

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl    I made these yesterday. Usually before I try a new recipe, I compare several versions and take a little something from each.

The only addition I made to your OP was once the potatoes were cut, I placed them in a bowl and let then soak for 20 minutes in cold water. This removes some of the excess starch which helps the outside get crisp. The recipe where I got that tip said you could also do this overnight but then the potatoes need to be covered and stored in the frig.  After pouring off the water use a paper towel to dry them.

The potatoes were very good. I plan to make them again soon. Thanks.

~~~"They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they're all the same..."~~~