Honored Contributor

Exactly How to Make Melting Potatoes, the Trend That’s Taking Over Pinterest

Exactly How to Make Melting Potatoes, the Trend That’s Taking Over Pinterest

Potatoes,  how do we love thee? Let us count the ways. We’re all about mashing, smashing and even Hasselbacking.  That’s why we were excited to read about an entirely new way to prepare spuds called melting potatoes. Imagine potato slices that are caramelized and crispy on the outside and creamy like mashed potatoes on the inside. Basically, the best of both worlds. 

What do I need to get started? 
  • 2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes

• ½ stick unsalted butter, melted

• 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth

• 4 garlic cloves, mashed

• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

How to make melting potatoes

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 500°F.

Step 2: Slice the potatoes into 1-inch rounds, place them in a large metal baking dish.

Step 3: Toss them in the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.

Step 4: Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

Step 5: Remove the baking dish from the oven, add the broth and the garlic.

Step 6: Continue baking until most of the stock has been absorbed, about 15 more minutes.

The results? 

Crispy-saucy deliciousness (a bit like poutine, but you’re allowed to eat it with a fork) that’ll wow every single one of your friends

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Contributor

Re: Exactly How to Make Melting Potatoes, the Trend That’s Taking Over Pinterest

Looks great! 

One question, is 50 degrees correct? 

Contributor

Re: Exactly How to Make Melting Potatoes, the Trend That’s Taking Over Pinterest

Sorry that should be 500 degrees.

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl    Boy, those look and sound good!  Thanks for posting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RedLipstick wrote:

Sorry that should be 500 degrees.

@RedLipstick  - I haven't made this yet. Just read about it tonight.

Yes, 500 degree oven. The high temp gives the potatoes a crunchy exterior. It sounds so good!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Chi-town girl    Boy, those look and sound good!  Thanks for posting.

@Kachina624  - I agree & you're welcome! 

Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl   Nom nom

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl ~ I'm ready! 🍴😋

I'll  be making them as soon as I buy the Yukon gold potatoes.  I have red potatoes, wonder if they'll work as well? 

Contributor

Thanks for the reply......will try! Looks so good.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Chi-town girl ~ I'm ready! 🍴😋

I'll  be making them as soon as I buy the Yukon gold potatoes.  I have red potatoes, wonder if they'll work as well? 

@AKgirl2  - no, the Yukon potato type is key for this recipe

And note, because of the very high oven temp, do not use a  ceramic casserole type vessel, they can't handle the high temp. The recipe recommends a metal vessel

"The Yukon Gold. These yellow-fleshed potatoes are waxy enough to stand up to Hasselbacking, but fluffy enough to make the best possible mash. ... You can use a Yukon gold anywhere you would use a red potato, but the same is not true in reverse. Red potatoes are too waxy for a good mash, they get gluey."