Trusted Contributor

We had the alcoholic version served in a shot glass made of dark chocolate in Valencia, Spain. Fantastico!

Valued Contributor

I love Hibiscus tea!! Especially iced, with a little sugar, allspice and nutmeg. When I lived in Jamaica we used to drink a version of this all the time.

Frequent Contributor

Love it! First time having it was in our previous hometown Cafe Rio mexican restaurant as a regular offering. (non alcoholic). It has a rice milk base.and cinnamon. Just bought an alcoholic horchata bottle recently at our new Total Wine store...yum! Introduced a friend to it whom had never heard of it either. She really likes it now. We both like Rumchata too. It may be an aquired taste. 

Honored Contributor

YEP!  AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!  I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Horchata!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 .

Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. I was having a sleepless night and just reading to see if there were posts I hadn’t read in the Kitchen and Recipe forums and came across  yours.

This Piña Colada Rice Pudding in a Mug recipe is based on tweaks I made to a MV Rice Pudding in a Mug recipe a poster provided here.  These notes were written for a girlfriend who wanted detailed instructions.

Microwave Piña Colada Rice Pudding in a Mug

Ingredients

• 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup milk coconut cream
  • 1/2 tsp.pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon [Cinnamon & coconut together??? I didn’t use but I guess it’d be ok]
  • 1/4 cup + an additional half of 1/4 cup=  3/8 cup raisins dried cherries, plumped in the microwave in a small bowl of part water and Capt. Morgan’s Coconut Rum (save some of the liquid to add to the coconut cream, about a little less than 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup crushed pineapple with juice
  • 2 cups cooked rice, cooked in coconut water (just happened to have a container of Zico C.W.)    
  • Toppings (optional): Whipped cream, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon-sugar or fresh fruit

Directions

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar with a fork. Stir in the milk cream of coconut, vanilla, and salt and cinnamon. Add the raisins plumped up cherries and rice and stir them well so they are completely coated with custard.

Divide the mixture between two large mugs. Microwave separately for 1 to 2 minutes each until the custard (egg-coconut cream mixture) is absorbed and the pudding is firm. Serve warm or chilled.

I cooked it in the same bowl that I mixed it in which holds 1.75 quarts and is 6” in diameter and 3” high.  It took about 5 minutes, done in 30 second increments after the first 2 minutes (my MV is old; yours may take less time).  Not bragging but it was really good!

Honored Contributor

not a fan, but it is very popular in the san diego area.

you can find it everywhere.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

never had that drink....but it did bring back a childhood memory....i'm armenian...and during the summer my mother would make a drink in the blender using homemade yogurt diluted with a little water and garden cukes.....it was delicious......

@nana59 

we make that also.....you must use the middle easter/persian cucumbers.

we also add dried mint to it.

some like to use club soda instead of water.

they also bottle it and you can buy it ready made.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein