Respected Contributor

Re: Empire Kosher Turkey

[ Edited ]

Saved in my recipe files (and cut from some publication a long time  ago)-- an easy way to "brine" turkey or chicken..............

In fact, the instructions are labeled "The #1 Secret to the Best Turkey".

"Dry-brine your bird for maximum flavor, juicier meat and the crispiest skin.  Rub herbs and 2 tablespoons salt all over the bird, pop it in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 2 days before baking.  Less mess and easier prep than a salt-water soak."

I do salt beef steaks far ahead of cooking, which is recommended by grilling experts, but have never tried it for poultry.

Esteemed Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I only buy kosher so I'm very familiar with empire turkeys. I personally don't salt them. BTW  they are not truly brined. Does not brine mean the turkey is in salt water all night. Kosher turkey are only in salt for a bit. Kosher turkeys are not killed the same way unkosher turkeys are killed.

Brining is placing meat in salt water!  Overnight is just for convenience.  Chops brine in 30 mins.

The fact that the Empire turkeys are not as salty as a Butterball is why they are so much tastier.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Empire Kosher Turkey - Updated!

Here's my report on the Empire turkey. IT WAS GREAT!  DH said it was the best turkey he's ever had! Totally different! There were two surprises upon opening the wrapping. 1. No neck or giblets! I went to the website, and was informed if the giblets are damaged or dirtied in any way, they are not included with the turkey. 2. Lots of pin feathers. I spent about 30 minutes pulling out pin feathers. Website explains this as well. I made a "giblets" broth by using chicken broth enhanced with fresh herbs, carrots, onion and celery. Not bad. I'm going to get a kosher turkey again next year.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme  @evelyner @evelyner I should have tagged you on this.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you enjoyed it, @PA Mom-mom !  These turkeys are very hard to find around here, but if you do, they can't be beat!

Esteemed Contributor

Kosher turkeys are the best.