Esteemed Contributor

Empire Kosher Turkey

[ Edited ]

Do you have any experience with roasting Empire Kosher Turkeys? They have been salted and brined before you buy them. When you go to the website, the recipe for roast turkey calls for brining the turkey. So that would mean it would get brined twice. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd like to try one, because a co-worker who had worked at Empire, told me they were the BEST fresh turkeys.

Esteemed Contributor

In my old cooking days, I bought an Empire Kosher turkey once - onlyy once, 'cause they're hard to find around here.  Best turkey we all every had - everyone raved about it.

I did not brine it.  I just cooked it like I cooked any other turkey.  But, imho, they're better than all other turkeys.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @eddyandme . I can get them at a Wegman's about 15 miles from my house. I was always afraid to try one when my whole family came, in case I ruined it. But there will only be 10 of us this year, and non-judgemental besides Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Thanks @eddyandme . I can get them at a Wegman's about 15 miles from my house. I was always afraid to try one when my whole family came, in case I ruined it. But there will only be 10 of us this year, and non-judgemental besides Smiley Happy

You're welcome @PA Mom-mom .  I got mine years ago at BigY, but now there is a Wegman's not that far away.  If I were still cooking I'd definitely ick one up!

Don't worry, they'll all love it!  Just used to butter it up and convention cook it.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

In my old cooking days, I bought an Empire Kosher turkey once - onlyy once, 'cause they're hard to find around here.  Best turkey we all every had - everyone raved about it.

I did not brine it.  I just cooked it like I cooked any other turkey.  But, imho, they're better than all other turkeys.

What she said!   Delicious, just like it is!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills  and @eddyandme  I usually butter and heavily salt the cavity and outside. Should I cut down on the salt or leave it out altogether?

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Zhills  and @eddyandme  I usually butter and heavily salt the cavity and outside. Should I cut down on the salt or leave it out altogether?

I never salted the inside - but I'm no Julia Child!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Empire Kosher Turkey

[ Edited ]

Farm fresh, all natural whole turkey with no antibiotics ever. Ready to be thawed and cooked. Salted and soaked according to Kashrut practice. Kosher for Passover.

I don't remember adding any salt!

Honored Contributor

They are brined as part of the Koshering process

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I only buy kosher so I'm very familiar with empire turkeys. I personally don't salt them. BTW  they are not truly brined. Does not brine mean the turkey is in salt water all night. Kosher turkey are only in salt for a bit. Kosher turkeys are not killed the same way unkosher turkeys are killed.