Honored Contributor

Ellie Krieger's Mushroom Stroganoff Soup

Love Beef Stroganoff? We do! This soup recipe was highlighted in a local magazine. Nice vegetarian option, but you could add some strips of grilled or sautéed steak + a compliment of Garlic Bread

Ellie says, "This soup is pure comfort food that is good for you too. It takes its cues from classic beef Stroganoff--a dish of sauteed beef and mushrooms in a sour cream-based sauce that's typically served over egg noodles--but here it is realigned into a sumptuously creamy, hearty soup that's much more healthfully balanced."

Per a food blogger:

Notes/Results: I have made several great soups lately and this might be my favorite of them all. So rich, creamy and decadent tasting with a powerful punch of mushroom flavor from the two different mushrooms (plus I am sure helped along by the mushroom bouillon and umami seasoning I added). ;-)

(used porcini mushroom bouillon + added 2 tsp Trader Joe's Umami Seasoning Blend)

You can use non-dairy options and/or cashew cream and non-egg noodles to make it vegan and as is, it would appeal to meat eaters as well as those of us who are veg eaters. Easy, fast and it highlights what I like best about stroganoff. I will happily make it again

20201027_183114.jpg

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Ellie Krieger's Mushroom Stroganoff Soup

Found an online copy of the recipe in case my photo of the recipe in the OP is difficult to read

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 medium-size shallots, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
  • 1 10-oz package white button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
  • 1 10-oz package cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup whole wheat egg noodles
  • 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 2/3 cup sour cream, divided
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsely
INSTRUCTIONS  

In soup pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 minutes. Add button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to boil. Add egg noodles and boil gently, uncovered, until noodles are nearly tender, 5 minutes.

In pitcher or medium bowl, whisk milk, 1/3 cup sour cream and flour until flour dissolves. Ladle 1/2 cup broth from pot into milk mixture and whisk well then pour milk mixture into pot. While stirring, bring to gentle boil then lower heat and simmer until thickened, 2 minutes. Season with additional salt, to taste.

Serve garnished with dollop of remaining sour cream and parsley.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Serving size: 1 2/3 cup
Calories:310
Carbohydrate:34g (11%)
Protein:11g (22%)
Total Fat:15g (23%)
Saturated Fat:6g (30%)
Cholesterol:45mg (15%)
Sodium:740mg (31%)
Dietary Fiber:2g (8%)
Calcium:15%

*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh thank you @Chi-town girl 

I LIVE on soups!  LOL  and LOVE mushrooms!

And thanks for the reprint...it was kinda hard for my lousy eyes to read!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Oh thank you @Chi-town girl 

I LIVE on soups!  LOL  and LOVE mushrooms!

And thanks for the reprint...it was kinda hard for my lousy eyes to read!

@RespectLife - You're welcome! Yeah, about the photo details...I was glad to find the receipe online. She did the recipe for Milk Means More - United Dairy Industry of Michigan

I am hoping to make it this weekend!

Honored Contributor

I made this soup yesterday - it was DELICIOUS!  Easy to make.

Excellent flavor Heart only deviation from the recipe - I adjusted the volume bc I bought 16oz packages of the mushrooms instead of 10 oz +  added more noodles. 

Garlic bread is a perfect compliment. 

We will make it again and next time will add steak or chicken to make it more hearty

Honored Contributor

Another thought about this recipe - I might try it as the base (omit the noodles) for a green bean casserole - instead of canned mushroom soup.

Esteemed Contributor

Ellie Krieger's recipes are great. Simple and easy to follow.  Also, healthy. Thanks @Chi-town girl