Super Contributor

Looking for a easy lentil soup recipe... Any one???

Honored Contributor
INGREDIENTS
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 large can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, lightly drained
  • 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens or kale, tough ribs removed
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (½ to 1 medium lemon), to taste
INSTRUCTIONS

1. Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. One-fourth cup olive oil may seem like a lot, but it adds a lovely richness and heartiness to this nutritious soup.
  2. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often, in order to enhance their flavor.
  4. Pour in the lentils, broth and the water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
  5. Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender. Securely fasten the lid, protect your hand from steam with a tea towel placed over the lid, and purée the soup until smooth. Pour the puréed soup back into the pot. (Or, use an immersion blender to blend a portion of the soup.)
  6. Add the chopped greens and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice until the flavors really sing. For spicier soup, add another pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
  7. Serve while hot. Leftovers will keep well for about 4 days in the refrigerator, or can be frozen for several months (just defrost before serving).

Super Contributor

Google!

Nice of you to post this recipe butterfly123, but tooooooo many ingredients for me to consider it easy.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Butterfly 123.   Looks good!

Just about all ingredients, I already have.

I'll make it when the weather starts cooling down.

Do you have it with any particular bread?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@shoppersince1989 

Crusty French bread with melted cheese.

My DH likes the Grands biscuits with soup also.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds delish ! @butterfly123 🦋- I too, was surprised I have most of the recipe staples. Will be bookmarking this for Fall. Thank you for taking the time to post.

- on a side note my local Kroger was setting out tall ceramic-style pumpkin 🎃 decorations. That was a jolt ! 

⚓️
Regular Contributor

I agree w/Camelot.  This recipe has too many ingredients to interest me. I'm tired just reading over the listSmiley Happy

Prefer  Jamie Oliver's 5 Ingredients, Quick & Easy food. Lots of flavor but not the time & effort to make. Love home cooking, but not interested in spending time in the kitchen. 

Respected Contributor

hondagirl, there are much easier, less ingredients, recipes for lentil soup than this one.

Google or on the back on lentil package. Just saying........a lot of ingredients to this recipe.

Honored Contributor
Ingredients

• 1 box Chicken Broth
  • 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes With Green Peppers, Celery & Onions
  • 3/4 cup  Lentils
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen Pepper & Onion Blend
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or fresh herbs of your choice
  • seasoning to taste salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and/or cumin.

Instructions
    1. Combine broth, undrained tomatoes, lentils and seasonings if using. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

2. Stir in peppers and onions and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.

1. For a thicker soup, increase cook time by 15 minutes.

2. Stir in fresh herbs and serve.

Recipe Notes
Add your favorites to make this soup your own. Great additions include:

• shredded chicken
  • smoked sausage
  • carrots, zucchini or mushrooms
  • fresh herbs

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Sounds delish ! @butterfly123 🦋- I too, was surprised I have most of the recipe staples. Will be bookmarking this for Fall. Thank you for taking the time to post.

- on a side note my local Kroger was setting out tall ceramic-style pumpkin 🎃 decorations. That was a jolt ! 

@LoveMyBaby 

Thank you for your kindness. Ceramic pumpkins sound lovely. It’s 92 here today and I’m looking forward to cooler temps.