Respected Contributor

Re: Easy Tropical Hawaiian Pie

@RedTop  The pie sets up beautifully with the proper amounts used, including the sour cream.  One must make sure they're using the Large Size box of pudding and not the regular size box.  Large size box says 6 serving size on the bottom right hand corner.  The regular size box says 4 serviing size.   It makes the difference in the pie setting properly. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

Yes i did buy the large 6 oz instant pudding. Thanks for responding.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella 

I've been making this recipe since 1979; the end result has varied greatly thru the years due to consistent changes in brands and package weights of the products.   

I had far better results 30 years ago with the ingredients as listed, compared to today.   I now withhold 1/4 cup of pineapple juice and half the sour cream until this is thoroughly mixed, and make judgment from there.

Super Contributor

Thanks. I will try that next time.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

download (2).jpgEasy Tropical Hawaiian Pie

/

(Great light refreshing dessert for summer)

1 can crushed pineapples, undrained (20oz) 

1 box instant vanilla pudding mix (6 serving size)

8 oz sour cream 

1 9 inch graham cracker or shortbread crust

1 can pineapple slices (8 oz) 

8 maraschino cherries 

1/2 . cup sweetened flaked coconut 

1 small container of cool whip for piping

• In a large bowl, combine crushed pineapple with its syrup, dry pudding mix, and sour cream; mix until well combined.
  • Spoon into pie crust and decorate top with pineapple slices and cherries; sprinkle with coconut.
  • Pipe or spread with Cool Whip if so desired. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.

@ciao_bella , I made this wonderful pie this weekend and it was a hit !  Thanks !!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella  Thank you for sharing this recipe! I made it this weekend and everyone loved it. I will be saving the recipe to make again. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 @FindingMyJoy   So glad you enjoyed the pie!  It is a winner and so easy to make.  Smiley Happy

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@QVCkitty1 @FindingMyJoy   So glad you enjoyed the pie!  It is a winner and so easy to make.  Smiley Happy

@ciao_bella , The sour cream really makes it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Made this for dinner.  Very yummy!  Filling did stay soft and difficult to cut.  

I used the exact amounts listed.  Maybe the ingredients differ by brands.  

Messy but delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

Yes, I firmly believe your results with this pie can vary based on the products used.  I have learned to drain my pineapple, add sour cream gradually and then tweak on both to get the right consistency for pie filling.