Valued Contributor

Re: Easy Rhubarb Dessert Cake Recipe

@Annabellethecat66 @Yahooey 

Rhubarb on its own is very sour. When it's raw, it has a similar consistency of celery (a little stringy) But when you mix it with sugar, strawberries, blueberries or even just a sauce by its self with sugar is to die for!! I make a strawberry/rhubarb sauce and put it over cheesecake. Yummy!! We used to eat it with sugar straight out of the garden dipped in sugar  when we were younger too. I make the cake that mothertrucker posted earlier and it is awesome! I make a slush with rhubarb, vodka, pink lemonade and other ingredients (cant remember recipe off the top of my head right now) and you freeze it.. Then it's mixed with 7up or similar soda. One time when I made it, I brought some to a party. One guy there pretty much consumed most of it by himself. So refreshing in the summer.

cookin

Valued Contributor

When it's not available locally I get it in the frozen fruit section. I think it's Dole. Just rhubarb nothing added. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

It's very tart. I like it raw with salt. When you cook it with sugar it would compare to lemon or lime pie. I grew up eating it. You do need to remove the tough ends & peel a little if it's stringy. Not as much as celery. It gets very soft when cooked. Love it!

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

The rhubarb isn’t mushy and you could add any flavor jello to the recipe I posted. I don’t remember if you like cherry,  blueberry or other fruit flavors. Believe it or not, I haven’t made rhubarb pie. 

Ya na like da taste of da celery?

Da oysters ar da slimy tings.

You know I lubs ya, 

🦋

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds delicious. I grew up eating rhubarb from the garden with sugar in my hand. One of the first signs of spring was when we saw those little red shoots come up. Rhubarb pie is our very favorite.

Honored Contributor

My grandpa loved rhubarb pies. Every time I hear anything regarding rhubarb I think of him.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 

yep - ai eatz slimy stuff dan celeri 

have you made the recipe posted?

I reallly really want to try the blueberry cake - 

ai knowz ai wil likez dat

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey 

I have made the rhubarb recipe I posted and my mother made it for us when we were young. My mother has rhubarb plants by her alley and sometimes rhubarb robbers drive down the alley and help themselves. The jello of your liking adds additional flavor to the dessert.

We went grocery shopping today and blueberries were on sale. A subtle hint from DH to bake the blueberry breakfast cake again. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love rhubarb and the cake recipe sounds delicious and easy.  I'm a purist - when it comes t pie, I want just rhubarb - no strawberries with it! One of my favorite things to do with rhubarb is to slice it and then just cook it down with a tad of water and just enough sugar to slightly sweeten it. It's just a sauce when cooked, but is so good on toast, bagels, and English muffins. Rhubarb is hard to describe - it has a wonderful taste all it's own. And nothing like celery!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I love rhubarb and the cake recipe sounds delicious and easy.  I'm a purist - when it comes t pie, I want just rhubarb - no strawberries with it! One of my favorite things to do with rhubarb is to slice it and then just cook it down with a tad of water and just enough sugar to slightly sweeten it. It's just a sauce when cooked, but is so good on toast, bagels, and English muffins. Rhubarb is hard to describe - it has a wonderful taste all it's own. And nothing like celery!

I cook my rhubarb the same way.  It is so yummy over vanilla ice cream.