Regular Contributor

Easy Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice

/><br/> <br/> As I've mentioned many times-and I'm sure a lot of you can tell from what I've made in the past-we LOVE Mexican food here.<br/> <br/> Years back, Bob was SO happy when he found a favorite Mexican restaurant that was a chain he enjoyed during his time living in CA. We used to drive 45 minutes every so often to enjoy a meal at El Toritos. It seems as though every time we find a restaurant we love, they either change hands and go downhill or close. Were we ever disappointed when we decided to stop in for lunch at El Toritos when we were in that area and found a Chinese restaurant where I favorite place used to be. RATS! He hasn't been happy with Mexican food out since that place closed.<br/> <br/> That left it up to me to try and find recipes close to what we enjoyed there-and in the process, I try and make them healthier by controlling the fat and calories.<br/> <br/> Bob always loved the Mexican Rice we used to get there so I've been looking around trying to find a good one to go with the main dish Mexican dishes we love. When I saw</span> <a rel=this one, I knew I had to try it.

/><br/> <br/> I stay pretty close to the ingredients used....I don't measure the onion-I eyeball the amount, chopping enough to please me. I also substitute brown rice for the white rice most times, but have made it with white rice and it's equally as wonderful. When I cook corn on the cob during the summer, I cut any extra off the cobs and add that rather than using frozen corn....great way to clean up leftovers. You can pick your level of heat in the salsa you get-from mild to hot-whatever you prefer. I added a can of drained and rinsed black beans this time to bulk up the rice-we loved them in it and it saved me from serving a vegetable. Just a salad on the side and we were happy. Kidney beans or pinto beans would be wonderful in this too-or leave the beans out totally and just have the rice-it's delicious without them. I know cilantro is a love-hate herb....we love it so I always add some at the end to give a fresh bright taste.<br/> <br/> You can serve this as is or add a dollop of sour cream with a sprinkle of green onion-that adds a nice touch.<br/> <br/> I'm thrilled to have found this wonderful recipe-it's close to what we enjoyed
If you love Mexican food like we do, I hope you'll give it a try, Thank you Adrienne for sharing your recipe-be sure to go visit her fantastic
blog!

Carol

/><br/> <br/> EASY RESTAURANT-STYLE MEXICAN RICE<br/> (Source: adapted from Adrienne @</span> <a rel=A Big Mouthful-original recipe found HERE)

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 c. finely chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 c. uncooked brown rice OR uncooked long grain rice of your choice
1 (16 oz.) jar chunky salsa, whatever heat level you prefer-we like medium-hot
1 (14 1/4 oz.) can fat free reduced sodium chicken broth (1 3/4 c.)
1 c. frozen corn
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish if you'd like

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until shimmering. Sauté the onion in the oil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the rice and toast lightly, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.

Stir in the salsa and chicken broth; bring just to a boil. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover and bake @ 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.

Remove from the oven; stir the corn, black beans, if using, and cilantro into the rice. Serve sprinkled with a little extra chopped cilantro, if you like. 10-12 servings.

/></span></div>