Respected Contributor

Easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup on the Stovetop 2019

[ Edited ]

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup--On the Stove

Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook

Phyllis Good  Good Books Publisher 2013 edition Page 370

I know many folks here dislike canned cream soups, such as Campbell's, due to dietary concerns such as high salt or fat content.  So I thought I would post an alternative which I've furnished below.

Full disclosure:  I still keep some Campbell's stocked . . . just in case I don't have fresh mushrooms on hand since it is called for in many of the recipes I make, especially casseroles.

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped

1 Tbsp. onion, chopped

3 Tbsp. flour

1 cup milk (skim, 1%, 2%, or whole and I use whole milk.)

1.  In a small saucepan melt butter.

2.  Saute mushrooms and onions in butter.

3.  Add flour and whisk until smooth.  Cook over low heat for a minute or so to cook off the raw flour taste.

4.  Continuing over low heat, gradually add milk stirring the entire time.

5.  Stir frequently to prevent the soup from sticking.  when mixture begins to bubble.   Stir continuously until it thickens to a creamy consistency.

I have been using this since the fall of 2013 when I purchased Ms. Good's book from QVC.  She also provides directions for doing this in the microwave on the next page, 371, but I prefer the top of the stove method since microwave ovens vary so greatly in power.

Super Contributor

Re: Easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup on the Stovetop 2019

[ Edited ]

1/4 cup of mushrooms? Not much. Maybe for one small serving. Why bother?

Hereby I speak. I make cream of mushroom soup quite often.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Homemade cream of mushroom soup is sooo much tastier than the canned variety.  I make my MIL's recipe with chicken broth, evaporated milk, and a touch of sherry:

8 oz sliced mushrooms

2 tbsp chopped onions

1 1/2 tsp minced garlic

2 tbsp butter

3 tbsp flour

2 cups chicken broth

1 cup evaporated milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp nutmeg

2 tbsp dry sherry

Whisk evaporated milk, 1 tbsp flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and sherry in small bowl.  Cook onions, garlic, and mushrooms in melted butter in saucepan until soft.  Whisk in 2 tbsp flour.  Stir in chicken broth until slightly thickened.  Stir in milk mixture until thickened.      

Super Contributor

FYI............my recipe is from The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. Yummy!!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you @roster  and I'm sure that Phyllis Good was probably trying to mimic the amount in canned commercial soup.  Of course, we can always add more mushrooms.

I often doctor up recipes to make them more to my liking or intended use.   Also my thanks for letting me know the source you use when you make your soup.  I will check it out.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   Your recipe sounds very good.  Thanks for sharing it.  As I've mentioned before I'm always searching for new food ideas.

Honored Contributor

I made ATK's Mushroom Bisque once - like all their recipes, it was a bit involved but it was delicious. There is a video but I coudn't copy the link. I used portebello and white button - omitted the sherry since I didn't have any. Very mushroomy flavor.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.47.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.47.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.47.43 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

although I loved the recipe I posted - too much for just soup that isn't even filling. I like soup that is a meal.

Your soup sounds easy and delicious - gonna check it out 

LOVE FUNGI

Respected Contributor

@Yahooey   Wow, the ATK bisque recipe you posted  is fabulous.  Thank you for posting this.  The Test Kitchen Recipes are often worth the effort.

Reminds me of what was served as a first course in the dainty little fine china double handled soup bowls at  formal dinner parties when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s.

I am going to copy it and place in my "must try soon" file.  Will keep my eye out for those mushroom varieties at the market.  

Used to love bisques as a little girl--lobster, shrimp, tomato, or mushroom bisque.  I would pretend I was eating at Delmonico's in Manhattan!

My parents did take me to upscale restaurants in Manhattan a few times a year but I could have enjoyed "fine dining" every night.

You've brought back some lovely "long ago" family memories to me, so my sincere thanks. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

the ATK bisque would be a lovely first course for a dinner party

google ATK mushrrom bisque for the video -

I always find it very helpful than just reading a recipe

I'm glad it brought back wonderful memories