Respected Contributor

Almost everyone I know seems to love Italian cannolis, but this fast and easy Cannoli Pie is so yummy, you won't miss the traditional filled cannoli shells.  I enjoy making this in the fall and winter months, but it can be made anytime of the year, especially when you're craving a cannoli

EASY & DELICIOUS CANNOLI PIE

3 cups whole milk ricotta cheese

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon (real, not imitation) vanilla

1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind (don't omit the orange rind, it makes it special)

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1    9-inch Oreo cookie pie crust (see if your grocery store has a prepared Oreo cookie pie crust, but if not, you can make your own Oreo pie crust... easy directions below for the crust)  Please DON'T substitute a graham cracker crust, it's doesn't taste the same)

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine ricotta cheese, sugar, vanilla and orange rind in a medium bowl.

2  Whisk until thoroughly combined

1. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave (about 1 minute on high)
  2. Mix 1/3 cup melted chocolate with 1/2 of the ricotta mixture
  3. Spread into prepared crust
  4. Top with remaining plain ricotta mixture and drizzle with remaining melted chocolate.
  5. Refrigerate overnight until firm

OREO COOKIE CRUST

Mix (22) finely crushed Oreo cookies with 1/4 cup melted butter.  Press into a 9" pie plate.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella

Wow!  Thank you.

I just got two oreo cookie pie crusts from prime pantry and was wondering what to make.

Your Easy Holy Connoli Pie certainly fits the bill!  YUM!!!

Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella

Hi,

Well, being half Italian, cannoli's are VERY high on my all-time favorite desserts/treats list! I'm soooo making this, but just one question. About how many containers of Ricotta does this take? I'm thinking the usual containers in the store are 12-16oz so not sure how many cups those contain.

I've already copied and pasted this. Thank you for posting ❣️

⚓️
Super Contributor

There are 8 ounces in 1 cup.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Easy Holy Cannoli Pie

[ Edited ]

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@ciao_bella

Hi,

Well, being half Italian, cannoli's are VERY high on my all-time favorite desserts/treats list! I'm soooo making this, but just one question. About how many containers of Ricotta does this take? I'm thinking the usual containers in the store are 12-16oz so not sure how many cups those contain.

I've already copied and pasted this. Thank you for posting ❣️

@LoveMyBabyThe 16 oz container contains about 2 cups of ricotta cheese (though depending on how moist the ricotta is, it could have about  1 2/3 cups in the container.)  You could buy the 16 oz and the 8 oz container but it might be less expensive to buy the larger 32 oz container.  I usually buy the larger 32 oz container and use the leftover ricotta in a pasta dish.   

Trusted Contributor

@ciao_bella

Thanks for posting this pie.  My first taste of a cannoli was on the Boardwalk when I was in Atlantic City for a business trip.  (I also discovered on that trip that seagulls can hover like hummingbirds when there's a little bit of wind off of the ocean and they're trying to steal a little kid's French Fries, and that New Jersey has some wonderful ice cream made locally in little tiny out of the way shops.)

I've never found another cannoli as good as that one, so maybe your recipe can help satisfy my craving.

Respected Contributor

@Honeybit  Yup!  Once you get a taste of a good cannoli, the taste for one never quite goes away.   I'm from NJ, born and bred here, from very Italian parents..lol   

When my daughter was about 3 years old, we were on the beach in Wildwood, NJ and a sea gull swooped down and stole the hot dog right out her hand.  To this day, she still remembers that.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Easy Holy Cannoli Pie

[ Edited ]

I'm surprised this recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of sugar, but it sounds really delicious so I'm going to go ahead and make it per your instructions.  Thanks for posting; I DO crave a cannoli every now and then.  And I agree that when you get a really good one, you always remember where you got it from.  

I've lost a hot dog or two to seagulls over the years in Wildwood myself!  LOL  

Edited to add:  Alfe's restaurant in Wildwood has excellent cannolis and the only tiramisu that I'll eat @ciao_bella.  

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella

Heart  Thank you for the recipe! 

Esteemed Contributor

YUM YUM YUM .... I can’t wait to try this .... THANKS so much for posting this recipe.