Respected Contributor

Easy Everyday Favorites by Mark Charles...Meatloaf Recipe

Just got this book a few days ago....tried the meatloaf tonight.  WHAT a HUGE dissappointment!  YUK....bland....to much onion called for and absolutely zero in the flavor department.  I ended up putting some bbq sauce on it to "fix it" better on my plate husband got out the A-1 and just smeared it all over it.  

I haven't tried anything else yet and am very hesitant too.  Reviews on this book are all 5 stars....nobody must have made the awful meatloaf.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Easy Everyday Favorites by Mark Charles...Meatloaf Recipe

Too funny - everybody wants to get rich by publishing a book.  Blue Jean Chef did one that I threw in the trash - I'd never heard of the ingredients although she said.....everybody will have them in their pantry.  I have no pantry and wouldn't have a clue where to go to buy them. 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Too funny - everybody wants to get rich by publishing a book.  Blue Jean Chef did one that I threw in the trash - I'd never heard of the ingredients although she said.....everybody will have them in their pantry.  I have no pantry and wouldn't have a clue where to go to buy them. 

@fthunt. I am intrigued by this. Blue Jean Chef seems so down to earth. Do you remember what some of the ingredients were?

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I think it's fun to try new ingredients, I have all the tried and true old school recipes that I need. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I'd never seen the words before much less know how to spell them.   As I recall recipes were suppose to be easy - quick - and everybody had items needed in their pantry.  As I recall, it was her first book - perhaps you can check David's book corner.  $20 wasn't a big loss to me but her cookbook was too far out for me.  I read several other negative sour reviews AFTER I'd bought it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It could be my age, or because I'm in the south and we eat a lot of BBQ and cajun flavored food, but I find most recipes bland.

I always have to dress it up.

I've tried several grocery store already prepared meatloaf, Sprouts Farmers Market has the best.   I  keep one in my freezer for a last minute meal.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago I started adding lamb to my meat loaves.  It adds something to the flavor to have the combination of beef and lamb.  

Respected Contributor

I think meatloaf is a dish that is very personal and finding a recipe that most would enjoy is almost impossible.  I've  made meatloaf for 46 years and it never tasted just right.  Then I tried making it the same way I make meatballs and finally I have a new recipe to add to my hum-drum arsenal. 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I'd never seen the words before much less know how to spell them.   As I recall recipes were suppose to be easy - quick - and everybody had items needed in their pantry.  As I recall, it was her first book - perhaps you can check David's book corner.  $20 wasn't a big loss to me but her cookbook was too far out for me.  I read several other negative sour reviews AFTER I'd bought it. 

I'll see if the library has it and check out the ingredients. I was just curious. I don't have a "pantry" either. I use a small hall closet and a wire shelf on the back of the basement door.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

I think meatloaf is a dish that is very personal and finding a recipe that most would enjoy is almost impossible.  I've  made meatloaf for 46 years and it never tasted just right.  Then I tried making it the same way I make meatballs and finally I have a new recipe to add to my hum-drum arsenal. 

I bet your "hum-drum arsenal" is full of tried-and-true classics that taste great, like the kind of home cooking people get nostalgic about. I've found that the people (usually women) who cook those meals are usually completely indifferent to the food, even though it's wonderful. But that's what restaurants are for. Woman Wink