Honored Contributor

Re: Easy Everyday Favorites by Mark Charles...Meatloaf Recipe

@tsavorite,   Meatloaf is one of the easiest things to make.  It sounds like there was hardly any seasoning in his recipe.  I use one egg, a little bread crumbs, pinch of dried oregano, press a clove of fresh garlic, salt, pepper, and a little milk to make it moist.  Believe it or not you can top it with Campbell's Tomato soup and for some reason you don't need to season it just pour over the loaf.  It turns out quite delicious.  I was hesitant when I first heard about it (the soup) but don't be.  Or you can smear a little catsup on the top and slices of bacon.   Good luck.  Your hubby won't need the A-1.   

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I also use Tomato soup for a gravy of sorts.  Sometimes I add a little Worchestershire and brown sugar for a different flavor - family loves this.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Respected Contributor

My Mom gave me the recipe from that Lipton dry onion mix.  Very simple and, I think, very tasty.  Then I use Pioneer Women, Ree Drummond's, sauce that she puts on top her meatloaf.  Very good!  One of my favorite meals.  Sadly, I don't make it very often.  maybe once a year.  Neither my daughter or my husband likes meatloaf.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy, I don't see how anyone could not like meatloaf. I probably make it ten times a year, and we get two meals out of it. DH likes the sauce I spread on top, made with catsup, brown sugar and cider vinegar.

Respected Contributor

When I first got married, I made meatloaf, knowing my husband didn't like it.  He asked what it was, I gave it another name (forgot what I called it but thought it was clever).  He starts to eat it and says "seems like meatloaf."  No, no, no....is all I say.  Tried it one other time.  This time not hiding the fact of what it is and now I have a daughter.  Neither liked it.  I'm surprised too that he doesn't like it.  His meat preference is beef, all things beef.  He doesn't like chicken.  He'll eat chicken parmesean and fried chicken, that's it.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy  @tsavorite  @AuntG  @cookie5  @Katcat1

I'm curious how you assure your meatloaf will be "moist".  Do you use a higher fat content ground beef or is it the ingredients .... and which ones?

The reason I ask is that I recently got some ground sirloin on sale (90/10 fat content) and my hamburgers were dry!  Looks like I should have used a higher fat content.   

Feedback?   

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Just got this book a few days ago....tried the meatloaf tonight.  WHAT a HUGE dissappointment!  YUK....bland....to much onion called for and absolutely zero in the flavor department.  I ended up putting some bbq sauce on it to "fix it" better on my plate husband got out the A-1 and just smeared it all over it.  

I haven't tried anything else yet and am very hesitant too.  Reviews on this book are all 5 stars....nobody must have made the awful meatloaf.

I'm so sorry that this happened. Smiley Sad

There's nothing like going to all of that effort, and then not have something work out when you really want it to.

I really dislike it when something doesn't turn out, and then I'm trying to "bury the taste" with some kind of sauce, like ketchup or steak sauce. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44.   90 still gives fat.  I use a little milk say 1/4 to 1/2 c. which will make the meatloaf moist.  The fat makes it juicy but still not moist like the milk.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

No, I use a pretty lean ground beef.  Usually 90%.  Meatloaf always comes out moist.  It's delicious!  Give the Lipton onion dry mix a try.

Honored Contributor

I'm another devotee of the Lipton dry onion soup.  The envelope works best for two pounds of meat, so if you have only one pound, shake the envelope to mix up and use only half.  I made stuffed peppers recently without the onion soup and DH said these were "blah."