Honored Contributor

This recipe came together quickly and the blondies are really good. 

In a lg. bowl combine 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, 1 stick melted butter, cooled, 2 Lg. eggs, and 1 teasp. vanilla.  Beat very well. I did it by hand , no mixer necessary. 

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teasp. Baking powder, and 1/2 teasp. salt. Add to sugar mixture and stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips. 

Put in greased 9x9 pan and bake at 350 for 30 min.  

If you try these I hope you enjoy ! 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have a similar recipe that came from my long-gone grandmother that I've made for years.  I vary it endlessly sometimes using grated orange peel and white chocolate chips or adding coconut, or add spices and chopped apple, the possibilities are endless.  Plus there's no standing  the kitchen for hours like you must do to make cookies.  It's a great recipe. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a similar recipe that came from my long-gone grandmother that I've made for years.  I vary it endlessly sometimes using grated orange peel and white chocolate chips or adding coconut, or add spices and chopped apple, the possibilities are endless.  Plus there's no standing  the kitchen for hours like you must do to make cookies.  It's a great recipe. 

My neighbor used to make bars using the orange peel but w/choc chips.  Then she would sprinkle confectioner sugar on them.  I like the white choc chip idea better.  I don't care for semi-sweet chips and always use milk choc chips in cookies.  Coconut is yummy too.  Now I have to make these.

Honored Contributor

I like my blondies with milk chocolate chips and chopped pecans.  My SIL makes hers with peanut butter and chopped peanuts.  My aunt used to make a version that tasted like gingerbread with white chocolate chips, molasses, and lots of spices. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Easy Blondies

[ Edited ]

New or inexperienced bakers/cooks should sieze this recipe and hold it close to their hearts.  It will serve them for a lifetime. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I'd very much like to see your version if possible.

Honored Contributor

We made Blondies in my 10th grade Home Ec class and I LOVED them!  I think we used butterscotch chips.  

This is a good recipe to let my grandsons do when they come over!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Easy Blondies

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624 

I'd very much like to see your version if possible.

@ECBG    That was easy.  I posted it almost 4 years ago in a thread on bar cookies and was even able to find it. I think my recipe must make a thicker bar as it has more flour.  I also often use half brown, half white sugar and have replaced some of the flour with oatmeal.  Everything you do seems to turn out well. 

Bar Cookie Recipe [ Edited ]

I want to share this recipe which I've been making since high school.  It's in my grandmother's handwriting and she died about 40 years ago.  The variations you can make are endless.  Heres the original recipe.  I have no idea why theyre called Congo Bars.

Congo Bars

2/3C  butter, margarine or shortening

2 1/4C light brown sugar or a combo of brown & white

3 eggs

Beat until well mixed.  Then gradually add:

2  3/4C flour

1/2t salt

2 1/2t baking powder

Add one package chocolate chips and 1 C chopped nuts.  Pour into greased 9 X 13" pan and bake at 350° 25-30 min.  Cut into squares when almost cool.

I like that I can make cookies without standing in the kitchen for hours.  I've made every combination of ingredients, substituting oatmeal, cornflakes for half the flour, adding coconut and candied fruit at Christmas.  Tonight I added grated rind of one orange and white chips.  I've added raisins and all types of chips.  I suppose you could use peanut butter and chopped peanuts in place of the fat.  Chopped apple and oatmeal would be good too.  You can't mess this recipe up and it's quick and easy.

By the way, I just caught the end of a Samantha Brown travel program on Asheville.  Wish I'd see the whole thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thank you, my dear friend, for all the typing you did to shere the love your grandmother did.

I would love to take you around if you come here.  There thould be more than one special on the area since we have always been the "hub" of the mountains.

Respected Contributor

Y'all are ALL killing me tonite !!!  Headed to the kitchen now to make a quick batch (of whatever version).  In between two football games and no snacks so this will be perfect.

Thank you all.