Contributor

Easter dinner veggie recipe?

I need a good veggie side dish to complement ham, baked bean, potato salad dinner. Any good ideas?
Respected Contributor

Re: Easter dinner veggie recipe?

I'm roasting some fresh brussel sprouts out of the garden now. If they turn out great, I'll do them for Easter. We usually treat them like cabbage and boil/steam them, so roasting promises to be great. I got the recipe from Ina Garten, 400 degree oven, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, roast for 35-40 minutes tossing to brown evenly.

You could also do a seven layered salad for some great veggies and colos. Just take your pretty bowl, layer chopped lettuce/greens and seven layers of goodies like carrots, peppers, tomatoes, eggs, garden peas, bacon whatever you like and top with homemade ranch or whatever the bulk of the people in your family like. It is pretty and usually gets ate right up!

Honored Contributor

Seven Layer Salad
Roasted Fresh Asparagus
Steamed Fresh Green Beans
Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Trusted Contributor

I generally like my vegetables simple: tossed in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, or other seasonings...Sometimes I add garlic or lemon juice, and then I just saute or roast. Couldn't be easier and they are always delicious. Fresh veggies are the key. Do not open any cans!

Fresh green beans with a little garlic, lemon, salt & pepper sauteed in olive oil

Zucchini and yellow squash sauteed in olive oil with Italian seasonings

Roasted brussel sprouts (I drizzle in olive oil, salt & pepper). After they come out of the over, sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles

Roasted aparagus with olive oil & lemon

Roast sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, brussel sprouts, onions, beets, and any other vegetables you like. Place warm roasted vegetable on a bed of mixed greens and drizzle with homemade vinaigrette and goat cheese crumbles.

Honored Contributor

I would slice tomatoes, sprinkle with sliced green onions and drizzle with olive oil. You do have baked beans and potato salad so I would keep it on light side. Or, fresh green beans. Or fresh veggie tray. Maybe even some side fruit or applesauce.
Esteemed Contributor

My favorite would be a variety of roasted vegetables...just toss them together with a little olive oil and seasonings and roast...delicious side dish...and I also sometimes love as a dinner on their own!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

When tomatoes are in season, we love a plate of sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper! I love tomato sandwiches with mayo, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add bacon and/or cheese! I can eat it all summer!

You could do a simple tomato plate with mozzarella, salt and pepper kind of a caprese salad. Light, refreshing and springy!