Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Key limes are juicy but small and don't yield much.  You would need about 12-16 limes to get 1/2 cup of juice.   If you can't find Key limes or regular limes,  you can use lime juice (not the  'concentrated' kind) that's in the bottles. That's just plain awful. I sometimes buy the lime juice in one of those green lime shaped squeeze plastic containers, usually found in the fresh produce department of the grocery store. It's real lime juice in there not that crappy stuff that is concentrated in a bottle. 

@ciao_bella 

Many thanks!  Someone who has gone before us has invaluable advice!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

This is what I use when I make key lime pie. 

Nellie & Joes Juice Key West Lime - 16 Fl. Oz. - Safeway

@ciao_bella    You're right, this makes the best, easiest key lime pie.  Zip, zip and you're done.

@Kachina624 Yes!  Always have a bottle on hand!  For those emergencies!  LOL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   We should mention, recipe is on the label.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Iwantcoffee 

Thank You!

I looked it up and my grocery store actually has it.

Honored Contributor

My mom always made this only she used lemon juice and vanilla flavoring with dark red cherry topping.  My fave.  I've often made it with almond flavoring or orange.  Many ways to make it.  I even used chocolate crust.

Trusted Contributor

I've been making this key lime pie for at least 35 years but I use 3/4 cup of lime juice and add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  It's easiest to use a blender to mix, add juice, then milk, then cream cheese, process on low, pour in pie crust, chill in refrigerator 3-4 hours.  

This recipe is published in The Key Lime Cookbook by Joyce LaFray Young, 1986, as Bimini Key Lime Pie.

My niece makes variations using lemon juice or regular lime juice.  I bet you could substitute fruit purée for the juice, too.

Respected Contributor

A recipe that I tried recently was called ''(NoBake) Key Lime Cheesecake Parfaits...omg..soooo good !  The graham cracker crumbs with the butter mixed in kicked it over the edge !  I found it at a site called Bellyfull.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

This is what I use when I make key lime pie. 

Nellie & Joes Juice Key West Lime - 16 Fl. Oz. - Safeway

@ciao_bella    You're right, this makes the best, easiest key lime pie.  Zip, zip and you're done.

There is a recipe on the bottle as well.  It is very good.  I believe it uses sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and the juice mixed together and poured into a graham cracker crust.  

Valued Contributor

@ninjawife 

In the mid 1970's, I taught kindergarten at Coconut Grove Elementary in Miami, Fl. A parent made key limes pies for a very popular Coconut Grove restaurant. This is her recipe. Easy and authentic. 

1 can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle brand)

1/2 cup key lime juice

graham cracker crust

Put milk into bowl and SLOWLY beat the lime juice on low speed of mixer. The lime juice will"cook" the milk because of its acidity. If you go too fast, it curdles. It will thicken as you beat it. Pour into crust, chill about 4 hours. Serve with dollop of whip cream.

Enjoy.