Respected Contributor

Early Autumn Stew

[ Edited ]

Here's an old one from my files.  Although he's had it several times before, DH raved about it this evening.  If memory serves, this might be a Rachael Ray recipe.

Early Autumn Stew 

2 pork tenderloins, silver skin removed and cut into 2" cubes

Salt and freshly ground black pepper 

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divded
1 large Spanish onion, cut into 2" dice
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2dice
4 celery stalks, cut into 2dice
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs thyme
4 McIntosh apples, peeled or unpeeled and cut into 2dice
2 pinches allspice
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
1 ½ cups cloudy apple cider
3 to 4 cups chicken stock (depending on how thick you like your stew)
1 loaf crusty bread

Yields: 6 servings

Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over high heat with two tablespoons of EVOO, about two turns of the pan.

Place the pieces of tenderloin onto a sheet tray and season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss with flour until well-coated.

Once ripples appear in the oil and it starts to very lightly smoke, add the pork to the pot and sear it until well-browned on all sides, 7-8 minutes (lots of brown bits will remain on the bottom of the pot). Remove the meat to a platter and reserve.

Add the remaining two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to the pot along with the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and thyme, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook the vegetables until they begin to tenderize, about 6-8 minutes then add in the apples, allspice and cranberries, and cook until the vegetables are quite tender, 3-5 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with the cider, scraping up the brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add in the chicken stock and toss the pork back into the hot tub. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Pull out the bay leaf and thyme sprigs from the pot and discard them.

To serve, line the bottom of six bowls with chunks of bread. Ladle the stew on top of the bread.  Enjoy!

Mrs. G's notes:  A semi-half batch (I approximate a lot) of this makes two meals for the two of us.

I do not do the chunks of bread in the bowls step, but do have lots of warm crusty French bread alongside.

Wine we pour:  Pinot Grigio, although a Riesling would be good, too.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

This sounds fabulous!  I would think the pork would be a wonderful change from the traditional stew.  Thank you for posting.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but what is "silver skin?"  TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the "silver skin" on a pork loin.  It's tough!

I have never made a PORK stew.  Gotta try this one!

Respected Contributor

You're welcome for the posting.  I do want to caution anyone who tries this recipe that the liquid in the the stew will not thicken like you think of in a beef stew.  It is much more loose.  I use the lesser amount of the chicken stock, and still need the bread to mop up the liquid.  

Honored Contributor

As usual IamMrsG, another beautiful recipe . . . and perfect for today's TSV . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This recipe is seasonally appropriate now.  It will be the Gs' dinner tomorrow night.  

P.S.  If bringing it out of the archives is equal to bumping-up, I apologize.  I debated with myself which would be better -- retrieving or repeating.

I took the chance of breaking the rules because this recipe is a good one.  

Honored Contributor

IamMrsG, glad you decided to "retrieve and repeat" this recipe.  It sounds good.  I just fixed your Cider Pork Tenderloin recently(very good) and have apple cider left.  Now I can use it in this recipe!! Double Thanks!

Honored Contributor

That sounds really good.

When someone says stew I automatically think beef stew and it's not something I make or eat, I just don't like it and would rather go hungry.

I think it goes back to childhood when it was on the fall and winter dinner menu once a week and I got stewed out! 

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG

I'm so glad I didn't miss this!  Don't know when I will get to make this but sounds like a great recipe to have on hand!  I almost always have a tenderloin in the freezer and none of the ingredients are exotic.  I love having recipes like this on hand, especially in the winter when one might find themselves snowed or iced in!  Thanks Mrs. G!