Honored Contributor

Re: ENLIGHTENED: THE GOOD FOR YOU ICE CREAM

@Noel7 wrote:

@Q4u

Hi there Smiley Happy

I realize everyone is different but I did a little checking, my husband is diabetic.

Here's what I found on Health.com:

If you eat 2,000 calories a day, you should consume about 250 grams of complex carbohydrates per day. A good starting place for people with diabetes is to have roughly 45 to 60 grams of carbs per meal and 15 to 30 grams for snacks.

If you can have 15 to 30 grams of carbs a day just for a snack, I think 18 is pretty acceptable, unless I'm missing something.  Also, you wouldn't have to have a full 1/2 cup, I'm about to try it with 1/3 a cup.

Very much apprciate your taking the time to impart that crucial information but I don't believe that the carbs in the ice cream are complex carbs.  If they are, that would be awesome~!  

I try extremely hard to only eat complex carbs.  No simple carbs at all (very, very rarely).....    It's the difference between complex carbs and simple carbs that make a huge difference in sugar levels, at least for me ...   Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I went looking for Enlightened today and didn't find it at my supermarket, but I'll keep looking.  If they have been able to make it into a complex carb then I'll be all over it..... but ice cream is typically a simple carb and something most diabetics can't eat.  Even the sugar-free varieties are made of skim milk and skim milk has a lot of natural sugars.

Simple carbs consist of vegetables, whole grain breads, oatmeal, legumes, brown rice and wheat pasta...etc.  Their digestion is slowed down by the fiber and the sugars are reduced and not dumped right into the blood stream quickly.

When you eat (or drink) a simple carbohydrate or a simple sugar – whether it is a can of soda, a scoop of fat-free ice cream, or even a glass of orange juice – all of the ingested sugar quickly rushes into your bloodstream.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the explanation @Q4u !

Honored Contributor

@Q4u Actually the carbs are very low. I am supposed to eat 15gm of carbs before I go to bed at night. Once you deduct the 5gm of fiber from the carbs - which is what you are supposed to do , the carbs are right where you need to be. I prefer frozen yogurt and usually buy either WW or Yurt brand frozen yogurt bars.I keep my fat grams <40/day and carbs <60 day on my 1200cal diet.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I went looking for Enlightened today and didn't find it at my supermarket, but I'll keep looking.  If they have been able to make it into a complex carb then I'll be all over it..... but ice cream is typically a simple carb and something most diabetics can't eat.  Even the sugar-free varieties are made of skim milk and skim milk has a lot of natural sugars.

Simple carbs consist of vegetables, whole grain breads, oatmeal, legumes, brown rice and wheat pasta...etc.  Their digestion is slowed down by the fiber and the sugars are reduced and not dumped right into the blood stream quickly.

When you eat (or drink) a simple carbohydrate or a simple sugar – whether it is a can of soda, a scoop of fat-free ice cream, or even a glass of orange juice – all of the ingested sugar quickly rushes into your bloodstream.

@Q4u maybe you already looked at this but here is the link to their store locator (I was surprised at how many stores by me carried their products):

https://www.eatenlightened.com/pages/store-locator

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @goldensrbest--I want the real thing when I eat ice cream, which is rare.  I like ice cream from local dairies, and we have a few in my area.  I don't eat any of them from the grocery and definitely not low/no fat/sugar.  In my opinion, if you are going to splurge on ice cream, it needs to be worth it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Of course most of us would probably want full on creamy ice cream like Ben  and Jerry's.

But folks, about 70% of people in the world are lactose intolerant.

A lot of people are on a diet.

This kind of product is not meant to be another Ben and Jerry's, it's for people who may not be able to enjoy regular ice cream for some reason.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7

I tried Enlightened for the first time yesterday!  I appreciate your post because I

didn't know about this brand.

I bought the coffee which is a top favoirite of mine, and I was pleased by how good it

tasted.  I am a WW member, so I appreciated the low points value.

I checked online, and the only store the pints are sold is Safeway.  Nob Hill has

bars but no pints.

Tonight we try the vanilla as well!

ETA:  My husband is also diabetic.

Respected Contributor

I have not tried those,but it does sound good. I bought an ice-cream/frozen dessert maker last summer because GS is lactose intolerant...we use it several times a week..

Super Contributor

I just bought this last weekend. It is ok...but has a kind of grainy funky texture. I would not buy it again, but hey...was worth a try. I think if your going to have ice cream, have ice cream.