Regular Contributor

Thanks for the recipe..I cannot figure out why canned enchilada sauce is so darn expensive for a small can! That's why I hardly make them anymore..and my family is "saucy"..they love everything drowned in gravy or sauce, ketchup etc...I could spend a small fortune on a relatively easy dish that should be inexpensive!

Respected Contributor

I made a sort of layered cheese enchilada in my Wolfgang Puck mini rice cooker-

a little oil in the bottom, torn up corn tortillas, layer some of this sauce, some cheese,sliced green onions and black olives, more tortillas, ( make as many layers as you like)cover with more sauce top with cheese....set it and forget it...dinner in 15 minutes!

Valued Contributor

Thank you DiAnne!

Easier is what I'm all about most days, so I'm going to love your yummy sauce recipe. Can you tell me approximately how much this makes?

Mothertrucker,

Your recipe sounds easier and delicious, thank you for sharing it!

Honored Contributor
On 4/25/2015 CaliKat said:

Thank you DiAnne!

Easier is what I'm all about most days, so I'm going to love your yummy sauce recipe. Can you tell me approximately how much this makes?

Mothertrucker,

CaliKat - It makes a little over 3 cups. I take the unused portion and freeze it in 1/2 cup containers. It comes in handy. I tried to figure this out so that it used a whole can of tomato sauce and a whole can of chicken broth - I hate always having the dribs and drabs left.

Honored Contributor

Re: ENCHILADA SAUCE

[ Edited ]

Trusted Contributor

I made this today and it was delicious. No more canned sauce for me. I don't like spicy, so I skipped the chipotle. Also added a teaspoonful of cornstarch to thicken a little and it turn out just fine. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Honored Contributor
On 4/25/2015 CoffeeNut said:

I made this today and it was delicious. No more canned sauce for me. I don't like spicy, so I skipped the chipotle. Also added a teaspoonful of cornstarch to thicken a little and it turn out just fine. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Glad you liked it. We all make recipes our own! Good idea about the cornstarch.

Valued Contributor
On 4/25/2015 DiAnne said:
On 4/25/2015 CaliKat said:

Thank you DiAnne!

Mothertrucker,

CaliKat - It makes a little over 3 cups. I take the unused portion and freeze it in 1/2 cup containers. It comes in handy. I tried to figure this out so that it used a whole can of tomato sauce and a whole can of chicken broth - I hate always having the dribs and drabs left.

Thank you DiAnne, that helps me a lot! Smile

Valued Contributor

Thank you again for this wonderful sauce. I was making dinner last night and realized that I didn't have any sauce. I remembered your post and it saved me a trip to the market. It was quick, easy and wonderful, DiAnne. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: ENCHILADA SAUCE

[ Edited ]

Hi DiAnne, I made your enchilada sauce this weekend. It is wonderful. 

Thanks for posting your recipe.

Now I need to make enchiladas!