Honored Contributor

EGGS FLORENTINE WITH SMOKY MORNAY SAUCE

I tried this recipe over the week end and it was a keeper. It was smoky mornay sauce that drew me in.  

2 T unsalted butter
1-1/2 T flour
3/4 cup milk
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
1/4 t smoked paprika
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 T olive oil
1 med shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
10 ounces baby spinach
4 large eggs
2 English muffins, split and toasted
Snipped chives for garnish

In a small saucepan, melt 1 T of butter.  Stir in flour.  Gradually whisk in milk until smooth and simmer, whisking, until it thickens.  Reduce heat to low and cook until no floury taste remains (5 minutes).  Remove from heat and whisk in cheese and smoked paprika.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover and keep warm.

In a large skillet melt remaining 1 T of butter in the olive oil.  Add the shallot and garlic.  Cook over medium heat until softened (3 minutes).  Add the spinach and cook until wilted.  Season with salt and pepper.  

Poach 4 eggs until whites are set and yolks are runny.  

Arrange toasted english muffins halves on plate.  Mound the spinach on halves and top with poached eggs.  Spoon Mornay sauce over eggs and garnish with chives.  Serve right away.  

Serves 2

I did not poach the eggs - just cooked them over easy.  Very easy recipe and delicious.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: EGGS FLORENTINE WITH SMOKY MORNAY SAUCE

@DiAnne  Thanks for the recipe.  It sounds delicious and just what I may have after tomorrow's workout.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: EGGS FLORENTINE WITH SMOKY MORNAY SAUCE

Thanks @DiAnne 

I absolutely LOVE smoked paprika!  I will be using more than 1/4 tsp LOL!

This sounds delicious!