Respected Contributor

I throw everything and the kitchen sink into most of my recipes but I am, like you, so basic when it comes to Sloppy Joes. I only add a can of tomato sauce to the meat with maybe a little salt and pepper. This was how my best friend's mom made them when we were growing up. Her's were the only ones I ever had as my mom didn't make them...bittersweet memories for me. Woman Happy     

Honored Contributor

I cook the onions, a green pepper, and tomato paste in vegetable oil.  Sauce is barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce.  I make a big batch and freeze the leftovers.

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

I've been making Sloppy Joes the same way for years and they're very tasty.

First, brown the ground beef.  Drain any excess oil.  Then add ketchup and a little sweet pickle relish.  Heat and serve (on buns or bread).

We don't have them often, but when we do they're delish!  I've seen recipes with many more ingredients, but we like them this easy way!

Sounds delicious, what is the ratio ketchup to relish?  I will have to try this.

@Miss Pepsi I don't measure anything, but I would say 3 to 1 (ketchup to relish).

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

that how I make mine.always a winner with my big family

Honored Contributor

DS used to come home from a friend's home and said their Sloppy Joes were the very best.  The dad made them. They were "tan".  I thought of mushroom soup, but couldn't reaearch it in those days.

Respected Contributor

I use McCormicks envelopes (in the spice aisle).  Just add that, tomato paste and water.  Yummy.

Respected Contributor

Re: EASY Sloppy Joes

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy 

You and i do it much the same way..  Those McCormick Sloppy Joe mixes are very handy to keep on hand, but I use tomato sauce instead of adding water and tomato paste.

Then I add a little Worcestershire sauce and maybe a dash or two of hot sauce, plus diced onion and  diced pepper sauteed with the beef.

Such an easy meal that I should probably prepare more often, but lately tend to dig myself into big kitchen holes by trying new and overly ambitious  things.........which  I sometimes regret

Honored Contributor

I'm going to make this recipe which was in a local magazine. Since it is my first attempt making it, this is the halved version. It can be frozen, but I want to make sure we like it before I whip up the larger version.

Brown one and a half pounds ground beef. Drain and place in a small slow cooker that has been lightly sprayed with PAM.

Stir in: 

2 cups tomato sauce

3 tablespoons dried minced onion

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

one quarter teaspoon salt and pepper

2 dashes hot sauce

Cook on low for three hours. Serve on buns.

Honored Contributor

I love a drier, less tomatoey sloppy joe; not a Manwich.   I do use some ketchup with beef broth, but absolutely no tomato sauce, paste, or soup.   

Honored Contributor

I use Open Pit barbecue sauce and we like this better than Manwich.  We eat sloppy joes when I'm in a hurry, not when I feel like inventing my own recipe.  This is slightly more healthy than my other fallback for a quick meal, frozen pizza.