Valued Contributor

Dumb question on Chicken Marsala

I see recipes for this and the other day in the grocery store in the soup & sauces aisle, there was a bottle that was marked "Marsala wine for cooking". Is that what is used, or is there actually marsala wine? 

cookin

Respected Contributor

Re: Dumb question on Chicken Marsala

@cookinfreak I've never made it, but eaten it out in restarurants a lot.

There is "marsala wine for cooking"...if you find that in your grocery store, that's what I'd use.

Not sure you'd find marsala wine in the liquor store...good question...you'd think maybe? But if it's right there while grocery shopping I'd buy that for that recipe.

Respected Contributor

There's a wine called Marsala.  That's what I use.

Respected Contributor

I would never use cooking wine for any recipe. If the wine is not something that you would drink don't cook with it. Cooking wine is loaded with salt and preservitives. For a few dollars more you can buy a real Marsala wine. What you don't use in your recipe put in the refrigerator for furture use. 

Honored Contributor

I only cook with wine that I would drink.  Any good red or white wine can be used in most dishes.  

Respected Contributor

Ok, I was schooled...didn't realize the "Marsala for cooking" in the grocery is different from actual Marsala wine you can buy...if I ever did know that I'd forgotten! 🤷‍♀️

@cookinfreak I agree now with all others have said...when choosing, yes, I too only cook with wine I would drink...just didn't  realize there is actually Marsala drinking wine and that it is different from the "cooking marsala" sold in stores.

Good to know! Good luck with your cx marsala...it's such a good dish.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

I only cook with wine that I would drink.  Any good red or white wine can be used in most dishes.  

Ha ha

I am an exception to that rule!

I would never drink any red wine but cook with it all the time.

I won't buy 'cooking wine' in a grocery stores for the reasons mentioned...sodium, preservatives etc....only buy real wines from the liquor store.

Respected Contributor

I have used the Marsala cooking wine from the grocery store. It works fine. You can also skip it altogether and just use chicken broth. Of course, the flavor won't be exactly the same. I don't usually have wine in the house and in this state, you have to make a separate trip to the liquor store for alcoholic beverages. Some days, it's just easier to pick it up while grocery shopping.🐓😅

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb  @cookinfreak Not a dumb question, I googled this before I made this recipe. 
I read that there is dry and sweet Marsala. Some recipe use dry, some sweet. At my PUBLIX, they had the cooking wine but in the wine dept I found one type of Marsala wine.  Sweet. It was double the cost, about $8.00. Turned out great. Try it.

BTW I'm Amy, too, but Aimee!
5149FFFB-6A67-4605-B6CE-91255E8663BF.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreak 

There is a huge difference in the taste/flavor of cooking wine vs real wine and I do not think you would enjoy the chicken marsala dish if cooking wine was used.

The alcohol in the wine does cook off and you are left with the wine flavor. Because it's the flavor you want from marsala or any wine, choosing a wine you like the taste of is important.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."