Trusted Contributor

Re: Does this cake hack sound reasonable?

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@Sooner my favorite is the White velvet butter cake and the Chocolate Domingo cake. You need the dutch processed cocoa for the Chocolate Domingo cake. 

@Misplaced Parisian  Yes, it's Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible. That's a really great gift. I received my copy as a gift many, many years ago and my copy is falling apart. I've also given this as a gift. 

@LilLadyNJ Thank you!  I'm excited to give this to her.  Oh my, she loves chocolate so I'm going to check out the dutch processed chocolate you mention.  I think she'll love that cake you mention!  Squeals of glee.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@LilLadyNJ

@Misplaced Parisian 

I have all three kinds of cocoa from King Arthur Flour!  LOL!!!  Any by the way, that would be a great gift for a baker.  

@Sooner Checking out that website for the chocolate....my sister will love this.  THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
Use an extra egg and milk instead of water. Use butter but don’t double it; I think that would make it greasy and heavy.

-----

Me too @lovesrecess . I never considered doubling the butter. By the way, I saw the picture of the finished cupcakes from the OP and I thought they looked good so I guess extra butter didn't hurt them in any way.