Respected Contributor

Re: Does this cake hack sound reasonable?

It should taste richer, not "greasy."

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

In my mind, it's just as easy to make a simple home made cake than get a boxed mix.  King Arthur Flour site has a number of simple recipes.

@house_cat I sure agree!  To doctor up a cake mix to be tastier and denser takes more effort than making a simple one from scratch cake.  How much extra work is it to measure a few ingredient to make a real cake?  

If you want a more denser like home made you will have to search for a recipe where you add pudding mix and/or cream cheese.  Unless you add heavy cream for the liquid with the butter and additional egg you will get a cake mix cake with a bit more flavor but not close to a home made one in texture.  

Respected Contributor

I think it would work @house_cat...  I was always told to add two extra egg yolks and use whole milk instead of the water.  I know butter will make the cake more moist, but not sure how it will affect the density.

Trusted Contributor

@house_catI have always substituted milk for water in box cake mixes and if my eggs are small add an extra one. 

Trusted Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

In my mind, it's just as easy to make a simple home made cake than get a boxed mix.  King Arthur Flour site has a number of simple recipes.

I have followed the recipes in "the Cake Bible" where I can whip up a cake from scratch in the time it takes the oven to heat up. 

@LilLadyNJ  Pardon my ignorance, I'm not a "baker".  What is "the Cake Bible"?  I googled it and it might be a website?  If it's a cookbook, I'd love to get it for my sister.  She is a fabulous baker and adores cakes.  She'd love this if it's a cookbook.  Thank YOU!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have followed the recipes in "the Cake Bible" where I can whip up a cake from scratch in the time it takes the oven to heat up. 

@LilLadyNJ Any favorites?  I have that book but haven't used a lot of recipes from it.  I put it on the shelf last week and thought I should make something from this!  Woman Frustrated

@Misplaced Parisian I assume it is Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible.  A classic book and a go to for cake baking.

Honored Contributor

I add an extra egg and I substitute milk for the water whenever I use box mix.  I also vanilla or extract, depending on the flavor of the cake mix.  My mother always did and  so did I.  She called it "doctoring".  Butter in place of the oil made me pause but, as someone said, make test batch.  

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@house_cat  I'm not really sure what you are looking for, but have you considered adding sour cream?

I use a cup of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt when I make a box chocolate cake.  I omit the oil.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@LilLadyNJ Any favorites?  I have that book but haven't used a lot of recipes from it.  I put it on the shelf last week and thought I should make something from this!  Woman Frustrated

@Misplaced Parisian I assume it is Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible.  A classic book and a go to for cake baking.

@Sooner  Squeals of glee!  THANK YOU!  I just ordered this for my sister...it will make a most excellent Valentine for her.  She will love this book.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@house_cat  I'm not really sure what you are looking for, but have you considered adding sour cream?

I use a cup of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt when I make a box chocolate cake.  I omit the oil.  

@chrystaltree @house_cat When making chocolate cakes from the box, add coca cola instead of water.