Honored Contributor

Does this cake hack sound reasonable?

I have to take cupcakes to work for a Valentine's treat. I thought I'd take a shortcut and I purchased two boxes of strawberry cake mix... but then I had second thoughts. I really want a denser, more bakery style cake.

I found this cake mix "hack" online. 

It has 31 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ reviews.

This is the original website.

To make boxed cake mix taste like bakery cake:

The only directions to note are that whatever the back of the box directs you to use, you have to:

1. Add an additional egg.
  2. Replace the water with milk, same amounts.
  3. Replace the oil with melted butter. DOUBLE the amount.
  4. Cook with the same directions that are printed on the box.

I'm not concerned that it's an artery-clogger, because it's a treat and no one is expecting health food.... but it seems like it would turn out greasy.  Has anyone ever tried this? Do these substitutions sound reasonable?
~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does this cake hack sound reasonable?

Why not try a test run and tell us how it turns out!

Honored Contributor

I'd use the bitter bit I wouldn't double it.

If anyone wants a pretty, really good Valentine cake, take a white cake mix, add a small jar of maraschino cherries chopped, use cherry juice in lieu of water (add water if there isn't enough juice), add chopped pecans.  Make layers, cupcakes or 9 X 13 pan.  This was dad's favorite cake.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Why not try a test run and tell us how it turns out!

Well, I need both boxes. I'm baking them later tonight or in the morning. I will let you know how they turn out, but I was hoping someone would say they've tried it and it turned out nicely.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, that sounds yummy!

Frequent Contributor

Sounds pretty good to me.  Definite improvement.  

Honored Contributor

@happycat.  It is very good and pretty too.  I  now add extra flour and baking powder to compensate for skimpy cake mixes

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  I'm not really sure what you are looking for, but have you considered adding sour cream?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about it tasting more like a bakery cake - I actually like home made or box mixes better! I've read a number of articles that suggest to make box cake mixes more moist and flavorful to

• substitute butter for oil
  • substitute most any liquid for water, e.g., orange juice, apple juice, pineapple juice, cherry juice (see @kachina's recipe), etc. Or, add the juice to water to make the amount needed.
  • add 1 additional egg

I know that's almost exactly the suggestion you had to make a cake more dense. I honestly don't know about that, but I've always followed the suggestions and the cakes were nice and moist.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

I used to bake and decorate cakes in the 80s.

I say yes!

I used extra egg, milk instead of water, butter instead of oil (don't remember doubling it)