Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember back about 1980 Chef Boyardee had spaghetti in a box with some parm,sauce?

I know the Kraft brand one is still at some stores but haven""t seen the Chef Boy r dee one for yrs.

Regular Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember back about 1980 Chef Boyardee had spaghetti in a box with some parm,sauce?

The only time I had the Chef Boyardee pizza was when I was a kid and one of the neighbor kids' Mom made it for us for lunch. She couldn't cook. Now I'll have to check the stores to see if they still make it.

Valued Contributor

They still make it. I buy the pizza often. The pepperoni one has so much pepperoni in the sauce it's unbelievable.

Super Contributor

i recently checked Amazon and the kits were pricey!!

Honored Contributor

I remember it and thought it was really good.

Regular Contributor

On 5/7/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Ohhh....I wish the OP hadn't brought this subject up! I used to love this stuff - like September, I used to buy it when I got my first apartment - and got to craving it a few weeks ago; now I want it again and they don't make it anymore! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I grew up on Chef Boyardee spaghetti sauce after my mother discovered it - it was far better than her "Polish spaghetti!" (Spaghetti with catsup.) Of course, she didn't bother heating it up - just dumped it on the pasta right out of the can - and she often bought the mushroom kind, and since I hate mushrooms I had to pick them out, but the one with meat was good...especially when she finally leaned to serve it warm. I sure do wish they still made at least the sauce - I've seen the pizza kits and canned pasta, but not the spaghetti kits. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Another old favorite I wish they'd bring back was Butoni instant pizza - you'd just pop it in the toaster. I'm not the only one who misses that - there's a FB page dedicated to it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Thanks for the memory of Buitoni's Instant Pizza!!!! Smile

I used to eat these as an after school snack while watching Dark Shadows!

If they ever come back, I'll be sure to buy them!

Super Contributor

On 5/7/2014 chickenbutt said:

Hometown Favorites (dot com) might have it. They sell a lot of stuff like that, across many food categories.

Ahh, great minds think alike, that was the first place I thought to check. I found it, but sadly it is on the list of discontinued candy and grocery items. They do have the Kraft Spaghetti Classics Tangy Italian Dinner Kit a set of 8 - 8 ounce boxes is $15.49 ($1.88 per box) and the Appian Way Pizza Crust Mix 12 - 12.5 ounces boxes for $30.00 ($2.50 per box). If you purchase with Hometown Favorites you have to get the multi box configuration and it goes through amazon and there is shipping, but if you just go to amazon and search by item name you can find smaller configurations and better prices. I do like Hometown Favorites though.

tkins

Super Contributor

I remember both the Spaghetti Kit and the Appian Way Pizza Kit with crust, sauce and cheese. I have to say that Spaghetti Kit was a huge improvement over the way my mom made spaghetti with sauce, which was basically the largest package of spaghetti she could find, boil it until mush (not sure how it held its shape), drain spaghetti, put back in sauce pan and finish by stirring in the absolute smallest jar of Ragu sauce she could find, the end result was a pinkish/orangeish collored spaghetti that was mysteriously mush and dry and the only way I could eat it was burying it in the cheese from the green can {#emotions_dlg.bored}. No wonder I loved Spaghetti O's and Franco American Spaghetti so much. Thank you for the memory induced giggles {#emotions_dlg.lol}

tkins

Honored Contributor

On 5/7/2014 tkins said:
On 5/7/2014 chickenbutt said:

Hometown Favorites (dot com) might have it. They sell a lot of stuff like that, across many food categories.

Ahh, great minds think alike, that was the first place I thought to check. I found it, but sadly it is on the list of discontinued candy and grocery items. They do have the Kraft Spaghetti Classics Tangy Italian Dinner Kit a set of 8 - 8 ounce boxes is $15.49 ($1.88 per box) and the Appian Way Pizza Crust Mix 12 - 12.5 ounces boxes for $30.00 ($2.50 per box). If you purchase with Hometown Favorites you have to get the multi box configuration and it goes through amazon and there is shipping, but if you just go to amazon and search by item name you can find smaller configurations and better prices. I do like Hometown Favorites though.

tkins

Oh wow! Sorry they didn't have it. Smiley Sad I haven't been there lately, but it sounds like some things have changed a lot there.

I think the last thing I got there (something I remember from decades ago, with fondness) was that brown bread in the can. You know the one? Probably depends on how old you are. ha! Anyway, I got some of that once and it was exactly the same as I remembered - same brand and everything. I like the one with raisins.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I sure do remember the original spaghetti. I don't remember if there were other spaghetti sauce brands out there that long ago but that one was just right! That box was available way before the 80's; remember and used it in the 60's; what's out there today could be better but way back then there was no sauce to compare it with as I remember...