Honored Contributor

I long for New Orleans and their fabulous food.  Since its looking like I will never get back there, I ordered the beignets from a couple days ago.  Then I thought, how hard can it be to make these?  Does anyone do this?    

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone make beignets?

@depglass   I've seen boxes of beignet mix in grocery stores.  Maybe if it not in yours, Amazon might have it.  I suppose they're fried just like donuts. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the recipe my SIL fries in her biggest Dutch oven:

1 cup water heated to 110 degrees

3 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp instant yeast

3 cups flour

3/4 tsp salt

2 eggs

2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 2 quarts for frying

Stir water, 1 tbsp sugar, and yeast in big bowl.  Let sit until foamy.  Stir flour, 2 tbsp sugar, and salt in another bowl.  Whisk eggs and 2 tbsp oil into bowl with yeast.  Stir in flour mixture until dough forms.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Place half of risen dough on well-floured surface and work into rectangle with floured hands.  Flip to coat with flour.  Roll into 1/4" thick 9x12" rectangle.  Cut into twelve 3" squares with pizza wheel.  Set on parchment-lined and well-floured baking sheet.  Repeat with other half of dough.

Pour 1 1/2" deep of oil into Dutch oven and heat to 350 degrees.  Fry 6 beignets for 3 minutes until golden, flipping after 90 seconds.  Remove with slotted spoon onto wire rack set inside baking sheet.  Dust with powdered sugar.         

Honored Contributor

I have never tasted one and never will.  I have Celiac Diseass and most good things are made with wheat and I can't have them.

I had to pass them up when I was in New Orleans, and again when I was in Sarasota, FL. They had a vendor outside of a big dish mkt. who was making them to order.  My DH said they were delicious.

They look easy to make.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a friend who purchased the frozen dinner roll dough and let one set out overnight.

In the morning, he fried it in his Fry Daddy and sprinkled it with powdered suger. 

He said his Mother often made it and just called it "fried dough."

Honored Contributor

@depglass @I haven't made them in over twenty years. It's not that hard but it sure is messy. If you want to try, look for some recipes posted from New Orleans.