Contributor

Does anyone have a recipe for "Herman cake"?

I'm not sure if this recipe was regional or not, but both my husband and I grew up in Michigan and remember eating a delicious cinnamon cake called a "Herman cake."  They were popular in the 80's, and it was a yeasty, cinnamon coffee cake that you had to gradually add ingredients to over several days before you could bake it.  Does anyone remember this cake or have a recipe?  Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a recipe for "Herman cake"?

Peachypie: Your question made me curious and I looked up recipes online. Lots of recipes and videos are available.  Seems that this cake involves a starter, much in the vein of sour dough bread.  See:http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/herman-coffee-cake-starter-and-bread-58215.

Honored Contributor

I've lived in Michigan my entire life and have NEVER heard of "Herman cake"!!

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

I don't have a recipe, but I do remember this cake. My mother used to make it. I grew up in Pennsylvania. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, I remember. Lived in Oregon at the time it was popular, in the 80’s. Called Friendship cake. It was delicious.
Super Contributor

I have heard it called Friendship Bread or Amish Friendship bread most of the time.  It was briefly called Herman.  It involves a starter of flour and water and sugar.  It ferments and you have to "feed" it every few days.  

Many recipe sites have the recipe.  All Recipes and Taste of Home are two site.  I used to make it  and made many variations.  A neighbor of mine was a willing recipient and critic.  One change I made was using yogurt instead of the oil and it actually raised her blood calcium levels she ate that much.  Have fun.

Honored Contributor

This recipe makes two 9"x13" cakes.

Fruit Starter:

1 15-oz can pineapple chunks, drained

1 15-oz can apricot halves, drained

1 15-oz can sliced peaches, drained

1 10-oz jar maraschino cherries, drained

1 1/4 cups brandy

1 1/4 cups sugar

Combine all ingredients in big glass jar with wooden spoon.  Cover with dish towel and store at room temperature for 3 weeks, stirring twice a week.  Drain and save liquid.

Cake:

2 cups Fruit Starter

1 15-oz can sliced peaches

5 1/2 cups sugar

1 15-oz can pineapple tidbits

2 10-oz jars maraschino cherries, halved

2 boxes 18.25-oz yellow cake mix

2 3.4-oz boxes vanilla instant pudding mix

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil

8 eggs

2 cups golden raisins

2 cups chopped walnuts

2 cups flaked coconut

Mix 2 cups starter with 1 can peaches in big glass bowl; add 2 1/2 cups sugar.  Keep covered with foil for 10 days at room temperature;  stir once everyday.  Mix in pineapple and 1/2 cup sugar.  Cover with foil for 10 more days; stir once everyday. Stir in cherries and 2 1/2 cups sugar.  Cover with foil for 10 more days; stir once everyday.

Drain fruit mixture, freezing liquid in 3 small glass jars for future cakes.  In 2 separate bowls, stir in 1 box cake mix, 1 box pudding mix, 2/3 cup oil, and 4 eggs. Stir in 1/2 of drained fruit, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup nuts, and 1 cup coconut.  Pour into 2 greased and floured 9"x13" baking pans.  Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour.     

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh!  I forgot about Herman cake!!!!  I made them back in the 70's.  We passed around starters when I worked at the Phone Company.  I'm from Kansas.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Boy, this brought back a good memory for me.  We used to pass around the Herman starter at work - didn't want to throw any of it away.....  This made the best bread I've ever tasted in my life.  It was like eating cake.  It tasted sort of like the Kings Hawaiian bread - kind of sweet....  And, the the sweets you could make with it were the best...  I remember making cinnamon rolls with it...  Wish I had some of the starter how....

Honored Contributor

Interesting. Never heard of it.