Honored Contributor

Does anyone have a really good gluten free casserole recipe?

I'm going to an event where one of my favorite people is gluten free. Since we're all bringing food, I thought I'd try to make something like this. Any advice or good recipes? TIA! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a really good gluten free casserole recipe?

wrote:

I'm going to an event where one of my favorite people is gluten free. Since we're all bringing food, I thought I'd try to make something like this. Any advice or good recipes? TIA! Smiley Happy

depends if they have celiac disease they are probably super careful about what they eat and where it is from 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom  If you google a recipe site for gluten free I think you'll be surprised at what you can fix for your event.

I have a friend staying here who has celiac disease who not only must eat gluten free, he eats very healthy because of it. Makes me & DH eat much more healthy too as I am the meal preparer here.  Quite honestly, it's really pretty easy to eat gluten free whether you need to or not.  If you do not NEED to eat GF, a GF diet is way more healthier anyway.

Ms Beach, you just also want to be sure that any ingredients  you use must all be gluten free. If you check out GF recipes online you should have no problem with a good recipe AND enjoy eating it.

Honored Contributor

I make a Shepherds Pie in a casserole pan and it is gluten free.  Mostly all Shepherds pie recipes contain no gluten. ...just ground beef, onions carrots and potatoes and tomato paste, butter and milk...and some beef stock. There was a recipe posted here a couple of days ago.

Sometimes  I make scallop potatoes with milk, butter, onion, milk and seasonings with some bacon or ham cubes...no flour.  I bake it until it thickens and the milk evaporates.,

There are also some nice casserole dishes made with gluten free Bisquick...recipes online.

Many of your regular favorite casserole recipes contain no gluten, or could be made gluten free by using gluten free pasta.

BTW there is no gluten in rice

If the recipe calls for a bit of flour to thicken, you can use corn starch instead.

I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for about 33 years.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone! I learned a lot about gluten free foods. I ended up making Mally's Magic Filipino Rice (under Mary DeAngelis' recipes). I doubled the recipe and used boneless chicken breasts instead of thighs (I used one and a half)  and it filled a crock pot. Everyone loved it! Smiley Happy