Honored Contributor

Re: Does This Slaw Recipe Sound Good to You?

You had me at mango. I love Mango coleslaw!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Sooner   Got the mangoes this morning.  I mixed up the rest of the ingredients yesterday and refrigerated overnight and added the mangoes earlier today.

Just dished it up to go with hamburgers and enjoyed it.

It won't replace traditional Kentucky Fried Chicken coleslaw--which is my absolute favorite--but it is good and has a delightful flavor profile so I definitely will add this to my rotation of sides.

I think it would be good with a fish dish such as mahi mahi or monkfish.

Best, and thank you for posting this.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 Thanks so much for testing the recipe!  I will surely have to try it now!  Heart

Respected Contributor

No, does not sound appetizing to me.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Sooner   Got the mangoes this morning.  I mixed up the rest of the ingredients yesterday and refrigerated overnight and added the mangoes earlier today.

Just dished it up to go with hamburgers and enjoyed it.

It won't replace traditional Kentucky Fried Chicken coleslaw--which is my absolute favorite--but it is good and has a delightful flavor profile so I definitely will add this to my rotation of sides.

I think it would be good with a fish dish such as mahi mahi or monkfish.

Best, and thank you for posting this.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 I made it!  Here's my report:

I made it to the point of adding the mint.  I tasted it and thought ok, it's hot.  It's ok, but mostly you get hot.

I added the mint and thought, yeah, that's better.  I like it.

I added the mango and thought yes, that's good.

Hubby tasted it and liked it.  Then we decided to add less than a tablespoon of mayonnaise and LOVED it!  It rolled over to a sweet hot concoction at that point.  We didn't add enough mayo that it lost the spiciness, but it was playing against a little creamy/sweet and we liked it a lot better.

Next time we are going to add peaches and or nectarines in place of mangoes.  

My mind goes even to watermelon (if you have a crispy not watery one available) and feta in it. . . but I'm that way.   Or raisins or dried cherries in the winter. . . Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   Thank you for sharing your adaptation.  Like your idea of dried cherries.  Dried cranberries or golden raisins would also be good.  Maybe toss in a handful of pumkin seeds?  Or mandarin oranges?  Isn't watermelon and feta cheese great?  

My daughter uses it with a mixed green salad that features arugula and adds strips of very thinly sliced rare flank steak or London broil.

Have a wonderful Independence Day weekend.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 It's funny but this is really an all-purpose, go to recipe that can be modified in so many ways and even lovely on a holiday buffet.  I think it will be perfect as a side with honey baked ham!  It's a perfect foil to holiday season heavy foods and breads. 

And fall fruits such as apple and pears would work well too I'm sure.  

Thank you SO much for trying it and encouraging me to try it!

Regular Contributor

You have the lime juice, so don't really need mayo or oil. I like chopped pickles in mine sometimes, or jalapeno, depending on how I'm using it
Respected Contributor

I guess I'm used to slaw with sweetened  mayo.but I would definitely try this.slaw and burgers go great together

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I saw part of a Pioneer Woman show recently and she made a very odd slaw--at least odd to me.  There is no mayo or oil in it.  

I love both kinds of slaw and make them often--with or without oil or mayo or sometimes both, but to me this version is odd.

Does it sound good to you?  

Mango Slaw to go with Caribbean burgers

1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced

4 limes, juiced 

2 tablespoons sriracha

1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning

2 fresh mangos 

1 bunch scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced 

4 sprigs mint, leaves torn 

Toss all ingredients except mangos and add just before serving.  

Yes, except for the onion.  I don't like onion in cold dishes.