Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Does Anyone Have a Recipe for Roesti potatoes?

I looked on line but the ones I found sounded like ordinary hash browns, but the recipe I am looking for would have Swiss cheese in it, also.  

We are having our 85th family reunion and the steering committee is going to be making ethnic foods that our ancestors cooked and ate.  Like bratwurst, kalberwurst, liverwurst, roesti potatoes, German potato salad, cheese pie, saurkraut, rye bread, etc.

Thanks for your responses.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have a Recipe for Roesti potatoes?

[ Edited ]

Once I researched this to help you I found out your spelling of roesti may be correct but most of the recipes spell it rosti, not roesti. I'm not being the spelling police, just telling you that research success might depend of how the subject is most commonly spelled.

Then I found out that some German versions of rosti do not include the cheese, but the Swiss version does.

look here for recipes that include the swiss cheese:

(this one spells it your way!)

https://dairyfarmersofcanada.ca/en/canadian-goodness/recipes/roesti-potato-bake-swiss-cheese#:

https://www.food.com/recipe/swiss-fried-potatoes-rosti-455449

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18263/cheese-rosti/

There were many more recipes. The search term I used with Google was "rosti with swiss cheese recipes". Have at it. Wish I was at that reunion to enjoy the menu!

Respected Contributor

@wismiss 

I am about 25% German, do you think I could be a long lost cousin so I could come to your reunion?????🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your menu sounds absolutely delicious!!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This recipe is from one of my Cook's Illustrated cookbooks:

1 1/2 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and shredded in food processor

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cornstarch

4 tbsp butter

3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Put potatoes in big bowl and fill with cold water.  Drain in strainer.  Wipe big bowl dry.

Put half of potatoes in center of kitchen towel.  Tightly twist both ends to squeeze out potato juices.  Put potatoes in dry bowl and repeat with rest of potatoes.  It is very important to get potatoes as dry as possible for proper cooking and browning.

Sprinkle salt, cornstarch, and pepper over potatoes.  Toss to blend.

Melt 2 tbsp butter in 10" nonstick skillet.  Spread potatoes evenly and cover.  Cook for 6 minutes.  Remove cover and press with spatula to form a cake.  Cook until bottom is well browned.

Shake skillet to loosen cake and slide onto plate.  Melt 2 tbsp butter in skillet.  Turn potatoes over onto second plate then slide into skillet browned side up.  Cook and press with spatula, sprinkling with cheese after about 3 minutes.  Continue cooking until cheese is melted.  Let cool off heat for 5 minutes.  Cut into pieces and serve. 

Respected Contributor

@wismiss   I found this one in my files, although I admit to not making it.  

Ham and Swiss Rösti
Cincinnati Enquirer | October 4, 2011

Serves 4

1 large egg
1 cup diced ham
1 cup shredded part-skim Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (1/4 teaspoon dried)
½ teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided

Beat egg in large bowl.  Stir in ham, ½ cup cheese, shallot, rosemary, pepper and salt.  Add frozen potatoes and stir to combine. 

Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet.  Pat potato mixture into pan.  Cover; cook 4 to 6 minutes.  Remove pan from heat.  Place a rimless baking sheet on top.  Wearing oven mitts, hold pan and baking sheet together and invert to empty pan. 

Return pan to heat and add remaining oil.  Slide food back into pan.  Top with cheese, cover and cook until bottom is browned, 4 to 6 minutes.  Slide onto platter.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Who's bringing chicken livers and pickled beets?