Frequent Contributor

Does Anyone Have CC's Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Recipe?

Several years ago CC, a wonderful cook, shared a recipe she made for her Uncle, I believe, when he came to visit.  I don't recall the exact name of the recipe (I made it a couple of times right after she posted it...and it was delish)!

Well somehow I have misplaced my paper copy of it.  Hubby n I were going through a lot of my cookbooks and now I can't locate some of my recipes.  It was on my old computer but that crashed and it never made it to my backup.

Is there somewhere the old recipes are kept?  I know a thread was started some time ago, but I don't know how to retrieve them😢

Your help elm would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings!!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have CC's Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Recipe?

@His Grace  I've got several old Recipe Swap Chicken Pot Pie recipes in my file, but I can't identify a poster who went by CC.  Do you have any idea how long ago (which year) it was?

I tried a search on "Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie" on the board but got no useful results.  Anything else you can think of that would help us identify the recipe you're wanting to find?

The only "archive" I know of is Hollee's -- I just checked and the recipes are still there, but there's no "CC" listed under Contributors.

http://bb-recipes.com/

Trusted Contributor

@His Grace

It couldn't possibly be a recipe from "CC" as in "Cook's Country" could it?  I didn't find anything searching QVC for UNCLE, but I did find this:

Slow-Cooker Chicken Pot Pie

Slow-Cooker Chicken Pot Pie

Why This Recipe Works

With its buttery, flaky topping and tender chicken and vegetables coated in a velvety sauce, chicken pot pie is a sure crowd-pleaser. But a single serving can pack in over 30 grams of fat. To lighten this family-friendly classic (and reengineer it for the slow cooker), we had to cut back on the fat in both the topping and the filling. A combination of mushrooms, carrots, and onion formed the base of our filling, which we bound with a flour-thickened sauce. Adding a bit of tomato paste and soy sauce to the filling helped ramp up its flavor even further, and finishing it with a small amount of heavy cream provided the right amount of richness. We then brightened the filling with peas at the end. Moving on to the topping, we knew high-calorie pie dough and biscuits were out. We had to get creative, as our ideal topping needed to be quick and easy to prepare but provide a nice crunch. A crumble topping was the perfect finish for our pot pie, as it could be mixed quickly in a bowl and baked until crisp in just 15 minutes.

tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 4 tablespoons melted
    ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
    carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    onion, chopped fine
    tablespoons tomato paste
    teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
  • 1 ¾
    cups (8 3/4 ounces) plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 ½
    cups chicken broth, plus extra as needed
  • Salt and pepper
    (12-ounce) bone-in split chicken breasts, skin removed, trimmed of all visible fat
    ounce Parmesan cheese, grated fine (1/2 cup)
  • 1 ½
    teaspoons baking powder
  • ½
    teaspoon baking soda
  • cup buttermilk
    cup frozen peas, thawed
  • ¼
    cup heavy cream

Serves 8
  1. 1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, and onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 1/3 cup flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly stir in broth, soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 3 to 5 hours on low.

2. 2. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk remaining 1 3/4 cups flour, Parmesan, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together in large bowl. In separate bowl, whisk buttermilk and remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter together. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and gently stir until just combined and no pockets of flour remain (do not overmix). Crumble mixture into irregularly shaped pieces ranging from 1/2 to 3/4 inch each and spread evenly on parchment paper–lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until fragrant and golden brown, about 15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Let crumble topping cool on sheet.

3. 3. Transfer chicken to carving board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces using 2 forks; discard bones. Stir shredded chicken, peas, and cream into filling and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. (Adjust filling consistency with extra hot broth as needed.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top individual portions with crumble topping before serving.

Frequent Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

@His Grace  I've got several old Recipe Swap Chicken Pot Pie recipes in my file, but I can't identify a poster who went by CC.  Do you have any idea how long ago (which year) it was?

I tried a search on "Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie" on the board but got no useful results.  Anything else you can think of that would help us identify the recipe you're wanting to find?

The only "archive" I know of is Hollee's -- I just checked and the recipes are still there, but there's no "CC" listed under Contributors.

http://bb-recipes.com/

Honey it, how v kind of you to take your time during Christmas season to look for this recipe.  Thank you so much!

All I remember is she lived in Georgia with her husband.  I believe she contributed as CC...could possibly be a version  like C.C., but I don't recall.  I wish I could remember the year, but 😥 I don't.  She posted a LOT of recipes and I was hoping someone who has been posting for 10-11 years might recall her.  I'm not positive the dish was called "Chicken Pot Pie"...it did not have dough in it or on it.

All I can say for sure is that it was Delicious 👏👏👏

Again, Thank you for all of your effort.  I sincerely appreciate it.

Blessings,

Jan

Respected Contributor

@His Grace

Was it Ties that bind?  She lived in Camelia Cottage

She posted tons of recipes.

doxie

Respected Contributor

I think it was ties that bind because she is in Georgia. The other poster from Georgia that posted a lot was Auntnette who is no longer with us. She posted all the great tables scapes and recipes along with a glimpse into her life.

doxie

Frequent Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@His Grace

Was it Ties that bind?  She lived in Camelia Cottage

She posted tons of recipes.

doxie

Doxie1, you are right!  That's her!  Thanks so much!

I searched for Ties that Bind and it doesn't show anything 😔  Am I doing something wrong?

Respected Contributor

No, Ties that Bind  lives in Texas.

CC is Camelia Cottage( her nic here). We called her CC to shorten it. The pie you are looking for is Dothan Chicken Pie. Here is her post from her blog a few years ago and these are her instructions in her words.

Dothan Chicken Pie

~~~Do ahead:

Cook and pull chicken breasts to make 3 cups of meat.

Reserve broth from cooking chicken.

Boil 2-3 eggs to hard boiled stage.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

~~~When you are ready to bake it:

Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup and 2 cups chicken broth. I usually use an immersion blender to make sure it's really mixed well.

In large casserole dish (9 x 13 pyrex works great) layer chicken.

Top with mixed soup and broth.

Season to taste with salt and pepper = this time I used Natures Seasons, Italian herbs and red pepper flakes (and any other seasonings you wish to use).

Drain 1 can of mixed veggies and sprinkle over chicken.

Chop or slice eggs and layer over veggies.

Mix 2 sticks melted margarine, 2 cups milk and 2 cups self-rising flour until there are no lumps, and pour over other ingredients.

Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly and golden

This is so very easy, and I've taken it to familes who had just lost a loved one, to my aunt and uncle who were moving, and other occasions, as well as just making it for us to eat, and everyone loves it! Since it's just the two of us, I usually put it in two dollar store (throw away) aluminum cake pans and bake both, then freeze one of them for later.

I hope you try this recipe, and really hope you enjoy it. Let me know how you liked it! Blessings friends! Becky

Frequent Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

No, Ties that Bind  lives in Texas.

CC is Camelia Cottage( her nic here). We called her CC to shorten it. The pie you are looking for is Dothan Chicken Pie. Here is her post from her blog a few years ago and these are her instructions in her words.

Dothan Chicken Pie

~~~Do ahead:

Cook and pull chicken breasts to make 3 cups of meat.

Reserve broth from cooking chicken.

Boil 2-3 eggs to hard boiled stage.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

~~~When you are ready to bake it:

Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup and 2 cups chicken broth. I usually use an immersion blender to make sure it's really mixed well.

In large casserole dish (9 x 13 pyrex works great) layer chicken.

Top with mixed soup and broth.

Season to taste with salt and pepper = this time I used Natures Seasons, Italian herbs and red pepper flakes (and any other seasonings you wish to use).

Drain 1 can of mixed veggies and sprinkle over chicken.

Chop or slice eggs and layer over veggies.

Mix 2 sticks melted margarine, 2 cups milk and 2 cups self-rising flour until there are no lumps, and pour over other ingredients.

Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly and golden

This is so very easy, and I've taken it to familes who had just lost a loved one, to my aunt and uncle who were moving, and other occasions, as well as just making it for us to eat, and everyone loves it! Since it's just the two of us, I usually put it in two dollar store (throw away) aluminum cake pans and bake both, then freeze one of them for later.

I hope you try this recipe, and really hope you enjoy it. Let me know how you liked it! Blessings friends! Becky

Tiny 2, and to Everyone for all of your efforts, THANK YOU👏👏👏🌹🌹🌹

Blessings!

Trusted Contributor

@His Grace

@doxie1

@tiny 2

So glad you were able to find the recipe HisGrace was searching for.  I remember seeing recipes from ties but I never knew about the "CC" nic. 

tiny2, someone once mentioned your wonderful Chocolate Pie in a thread and another poster was able to find it in her file for me so I always feel happy when someone here is able to solve a recipe mystery.

Merry Christmas to all of you!