Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Any Easy Recipes You Love?

@rrpell wrote:

My husband makes a great turkey burger that I love. I think it easy but it is because he makes it 😀

1lb ground turkey (we like the one with more fat)

1 large onion, chopped

1/2 Granny Smith apple, cut into small cubes

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

2 Tablespoons olive oil

2 tsp soy sauce

hamburger buns

Saute half the onions in the olive oil, medium heat, for approximately 4 minutes, til limp.  Mix, in a bowl, the cooked onions, the remaining raw onions and all the other ingredients.  Form 4 patties. Use the same saute pan and cook the patties, over medium to medium low heat, flipping as necessary to prevent over browning, until their internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (about 20 minutes).

Serve on buns with ketchup and sweet red pepper relish. 

@rrpell

What a sweet post; thanks for sharing this!  Heart

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Strawberry Pie

2 cups fresh strawberries

sugar to taste

2/3 cup boiling water

1 pkg. JELL-O (3 oz.) Strawberry Flavor Gelatin

1 tub (8 oz..) COOL WHIP LITE whipped Topping, thawed

1 premade pie crust (e.g.--graham cracker or shortbread)

Slice strawberries, add sugar, refrigerate for later use. (I allow them to get really cold)

Add boiling water to gelatin and mix until completely dissolved.

Pour gelatin into berries and refrigerate until mixture is partially set (20-25 minutes).

Whisk in COOL WHIP and spoon into crust.

Refrigerate for about six hours or until firm.

Top with extra berries just before serving.

Trusted Contributor

A few weeks ago,Jayne Brown had mustard chicken thighs on a blog, they were very good and easy. 

Super Contributor

mtc wrote:

Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@mtc  YUM.  I *LOVE* that Korean Beef Bowl recipe, too.  :-)  I think YOU even posted it last year here, somewhere.  I recently checked out Chungah Rhee's cookbook, "Da** Delicious."   If I could make ALL of her recipes, I would.  I copied off a handful from her book, and eventually plan to buy my own copy.  Her recipes are all pretty easy and so not froo-froo.  Her web site is fantastic, as well.  If I hadn't seen your old post, @mtc, I may never have sought out the book.  Thanks!  

@Ruthie-Roo I would love to buy her cookbook too as I have loved every one of her recipes that I have tried . . . one of the best cooking websites I have ever seen!

@momtochloe  At least there are the libraries, until we can buy our own copies.  If your county library system doesn't carry it yet, 1) submit a request for the county to BUY it (I did that for mine), and 2) check to see if you can request a library copy from elsewhere in your state; I do that ALL the time, and it's been fantastic.  Ask your librarians for help, of course, if you aren't familiar with looking outside of your county libraries.  :-)  Now, if Chungah Rhee shows up on QVC to sell her cookbook, I would LOVE that, wouldn't you?  Hee-hee...  Thanks again for mentioning her web site!!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe - I made the Korean beef bowl recipe for the fam last night and they devoured it! Very few ingredients and so easy to make.  I made it with sirloin...and will make it with ground turkey next!  Thanks so much for the link......you ROCK....and I lubs ya pretty lady!!!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@momtochloe - I made the Korean beef bowl recipe for the fam last night and they devoured it! Very few ingredients and so easy to make.  I made it with sirloin...and will make it with ground turkey next!  Thanks so much for the link......you ROCK....and I lubs ya pretty lady!!!!

Well how fabulous are you to make the end of my day like this! . . . so glad you enjoyed your meal my friend and please equally enjoy the rest of your day! . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

OP - I just wanted to tell you I make lasagna a lot of the time in the crock pot. It is great. I use the noodles you don't cook first and I make my sauce but it is a good way to make lasagna. 

We have friends who have a boat and often take us out so we provide the dinner when we get back. I have to take it to their house and prepare it there becauise they live on the water and we dock the boat at their house. Anyway I often make a lasagna and put it in the crockpot - it cooks while we are out and when we get back, as soon as the guys take care of the boat we are ready to eat.A little salad and some wine and it's perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

A favorite of mine.  I don't use the oil, just sautee in vegetable broth.  I made this for dinner tonight.  I like it because everything is dumped into one pan, no fuss, no muss.

One Pan Mexican Quinoa

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
Serve immediately.

Honored Contributor

Do a Google search for Betty Crocker Classic Recipes or Vintage Betty Crocker.

These recipes are so basic with limited ingredients.    You can tweak to your taste but so many of them are simple to make but so satisfying.

I don't cook much anymore but when I do, I consult Betty first.

@ECBG wrote:

I see so many things that look good (probably styled by a food artist), then read the ingredients and can tell it's not going to be amazing at all.  An example would be amazing crock pot lasagna with jared sauce over noodles.  (Yawn), or a "dump" cake that, because of the ingredients, is "tough".

Does anyone have a good recipe you'd like to share?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I wouldn't say that I love creamed tuna on toast, but my sons do!

Back when they were kids, I used to fix that on nights that were busy, or when trying to stretch a dollar.

Now, when they visit, and there's a day when we've been busy sight-seeing and come home late, one of them will invariably say it's a creamed tuna night. LOL!

Creamed Tuna on Toast

1 stick butter
1/2 cup, plus a bit more flour
4 cups milk (you can throw in some half & half if it's hanging around)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cans tuna (1 chunk light, one solid white)

Melt butter in saucepan, whisk in flour & let cook for a few minutes while stirring. Pour in milk, and whisk and heat till bubbly and thick.
Add tuna and heat through.
Adjust seasoning, & serve over hot buttered toast.

** If you use all white meat tuna, there's no flavor at all. I'll sometimes even use one can of oil-packed tuna in addition, just for added flavor.

Inexpensive, quick, and yummy!
Muddling through...