Honored Contributor

Does Anyone Have A Good Recipe For Cooked Kale?

I use it in salads all of the time!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have A Good Recipe For Cooked Kale?

Love kale!! Eat a least 5 to 6 times week. Steam throw in spices fresh garlic over shimp or chicken even plain with veggies!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

cooked kale with sliced chicken sausage, diced aples, garlic and maybe a little mozzarella.

Making myself hungry, LOL!

Honored Contributor

I have tried several cooked recipes for kale and did not like any of them.  My neighbor made some delicious kale but it was full of bacon and sauteed in bacon grease!  That seemed like it would cancel out the kale.  I do what you do and use it in salads raw.  

Respected Contributor

Here is a recipe I make occasionally. 

1 1/2 pounds kale

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or adjust to your personal taste..this is optional

1/2 low sodium vegetable stock, water or you can use low sodium chicken stock

2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste or you can omit

2 - 4 tablespoons of Balsamic vinegar

Heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add red pepper flakes and when they start to sizzle add garlic and cook for a minute or so, don't over cook.   Turn the heat up to high.  Add the liquid you are using and the kale. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Reduce heat and remove lid and cook until almost all the liquid evaporates. Don't overcook to preserve the bright green color.  Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and vinegar.  I buy a big bag of the kale and remove the stems because I don't like them but you can certainly use them if you prefer.  I'm not crazy about kale but this is pretty good.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I use it in salads all of the time!

I'm not crazy about kale but I do throw in in salads a lot.  I like it okay with cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, sliced hard boiled eggs and a balsamic vinaigrette.  I posted a recipe for sauteed kale below.  It's not too bad.

Respected Contributor

Saute it in a little olive oil.  Makes it easy to slide out of the pan and into the garbage can.  Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Love kale and use it every day raw in my smoothies---just remember to not use the stem as that thing is too hard and woody. I like it in soups too, but it does need to be cooked well or shopped finely to eat in raw in salads.

Honored Contributor

Seems like an oxymoron to me - Good Kale.

Trusted Contributor

Slow Cooker Healthy Kale

Kale, de-stemmed and cleaned (also good substituting 8 oz Brussels sprouts)
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water (I always substitutes low-sodium Chicken Broth for the water)
2 TBS red wine (a wine you would drink-- no cooking wine...yuck!!!)
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 TBS maple syrup
Dried cranberries (add about 30 minutes before cooking is complete)
S & P, if desired (I use Trader Joe's no-salt "21 Seasoning Salute")
Optional: to keep healthy AND enjoy that smoked meat taste, add a few drops of Liquid Smoke. (I like it WITHOUT the smoked taste).

Cook in appropriate size crock pot/slow cooker on HIGH for 2 hours or until done. (I check several times during the process). So good while being super healthy for you!!!!

Other seasonings that may be used according to your personal taste:
6.10.16: Saw a recipe that specified adding your garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, S&P, etc. AT THE END OF COOKING GREENS (I've not yet tried doing this-- I know it's beneficial to do some things at the end of cooking cycle like adding salt to beans to prevent them from splitting).