Respected Contributor

Re: Do you use packaged soup mixes?

[ Edited ]

I used 2 cans of the Campbell's French Onion soup this week to make my hamburger soup.  It saves the time and the mess of cutting a fresh onion.  It was the best hamburger soup I've made.  It really had a good flavor.  I did not add any additional salt.  Also used a bag of frozen PicSweet Farms mixed vegetables. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like the texture of canned soups.  I will try a couple of the dehydrated or freeze dried mixes.  Would like to find one to keep on hand for those evenings!

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I don't like the texture of canned soups.  I will try a couple of the dehydrated or freeze dried mixes.  Would like to find one to keep on hand for those evenings!

@Zhills   I seldom use canned soups or packaged dry soup mixes either, but this time it worked out better than expected.  So I will probably use the canned French Onion soup again when I make hamburger soup the next time around.  

Super Contributor

I never use soup mixes to make soup, always make mine from scratch. However, I love making dip using Knorr Swiss vegetable soup mix. That dip is also fantastic on baked potatoes. Now I want some.......... 😞

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the canned soup for gravies

with roasts.  I just don't t like them for soup!

Honored Contributor

No.  I do use onion soup mix sometimes in slow cooker pot roast.  Only use canned soups in this way too.  I make my own soup like my Mom did (no recipes).

Trusted Contributor

I'll make soup from a recipe or from home-made.

I also like dry soup mixes, especially.

I don't mind doctoring up canned soup either, by putting in some extra veggies, meat or more noodles. I don't add any extra salt, but will put in extra herbs and/or salt-free seasonings. 

i'll also buy a dry mix and then follow the suggestions on the package for adding extras to it.

I'll add in some veggies, whatever meat it might suggest, and extra pasta if it needs it. 

Honored Contributor

I've never used a packaged soup mix.  I keep some ground beef and cooked chicken in the freezer.  And I keep chicken, beef and veggie stock, canned beans and canned tomatoes, frozen mixed veggies and even some dried onions for quick soups.  I'll use leftover pasta sauce too for soups. 

Chicken gumbo in a hurry:  Saute some onions and celery and bell pepper (which we always have), add stock, a can of okra, corn and tomatoes, maybe a little tomato sauce, and some frozen mixed veggies if you want to, and rice.  Serve with hot sauce on the side.

I can go in our pantry and freezer and come up with beef veggie soup, chicken noodle, taco soup, lasagna soup, etc etc as quick as I could use a package mix I think.  You just have to have things on hand and use also fresh whatever veggies have in the fridge, old potatoes or broccoli or whatever. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Do any of you use the packaged soup mixes (not just from  QVC)?

What do you add to make them more like homemade or do you serve 'as is'?

@Zhills If you were speaking to me my Dear, I am a fan of Rand Hill.  They regularly have sales.  Everything has been great!  Their soup, stew. and dip kits are wonderful and all natural, gluten free.  

We are absolutely addicted to the potato soup! I add about 5 russet potatoes, several stalks of celery chopped, and 1/2 a sweet onion.  The directions say add 4 C milk, 4 C water.  I add 4 C 1% milk, and 2 cups of half and half and several pats of butter.  I serve slaw with it so I can have something green.  The thickening is taken of, and 20-30 min of light simmering gives me 2-3 nights of large bowls.

Valued Contributor

Today I used the Honey Baked Bean soup and a hambone 

from there.  I've been messing with it about 3 hours but

it will be so good.

Was going to do it last week, but didn't and it's in the

20's here and windy so great time to have it and the left

overs.

Those CE new Silicone Gloves are Amazing!  They are my 

newest favorite thing in my Kitchen I think!  I fished out

my big heavy slippery hambone out of the pot like picking up

my furbaby, to plate and cool to get the ham off with the

most ease I've ever done!  Every cook should own a pair!

Monke~