Valued Contributor

Re: Do you use packaged soup mixes?

I love hearty soups and have my own recipes for a couple types of bean soups I make regularly, chicken vegetable soup, and butternut squash soup, but use boxed chicken stock as the base.

I also use a mix soup a couple times a year when I'm cold.  Specifically, I make Bear Creek Creamy Potato soup according to the package instructions adding a package of frozen broccoli florets and cauliflower that I chop roughly. It's hearty and thick and warms me.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the answers and opinions you have posted.  I make my own soups but am looking for something that doesn't make a pot full, just soup for a meal.

I happened to find a site on the Internet called Soups Online and they must carry at least a hundred different soup mixes.  Most are freeze dried and contain no MSG or preservatives and low sodium.  They have everything from beef stew to exotic Japanese soups.  Check it out...interesting site!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills   The best packaged soup mix I have ever used and only use is by Alessi.  The split pea is exceptional and then there are two different pasta & bean soups.  You only add water and that is all you need.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Zhills I got some AMAZING all natural soup mixes from Rand Hill (available on line) that are delicious.  We're crazy about the potato soup.  Although it has some dried potatoes, spices, and natural thickners, I add sauteed celery, onion, and a couple of fresh, thinly cut potatoes.  Milk and butter to directions.  

We get FOUR large rimmed bowls!

They also have stew kits and dips.  All natural!  LOVE this company!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Yes, I do. It makes a good meal. I do watch the sodium on the packages though.

I usually add in chicken if it is a chicken based soup and I add in ground beef if it is a beef based. I will also add in some chopped potatoes or some noodles and peas. But that is just me. 

Soup is filling and warm as the colder months are coming on.

I have made soup from scratch but due to lack of time there are always packaged soup mixes in the pantry.

Honored Contributor

well---I used the dry onion soup mix for my crockpot  pot roast last night----usually don't as there is so much salt and chemical junk in them. But sometimes you just gotta---I make my own soups in my pressure cooker-

Honored Contributor

Dinner soup is always homemade.  Lunch soup is Campbells or Progresso or leftover dinner soup.  I usually dump something else into the canned version, like leftover rice or a can of beans. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I make soup, I usually use bone broth. It tastes good ,and is good for you. I saw some in 10 oz containers today, and I  think they, are a good thing to  use when you need only a cup of the broth, for a bit of added favor, to something you are making

Respected Contributor

Miso soup is so easy to make and you can buy the Miso at the store. Make dashi, add the miso, maybe a few mushrooms, tofu, green onions. Yummy. That's all the 'package' food I use in making soup.

Occasional Contributor

No.  Too much sodium.