Esteemed Contributor

Do you use packaged soup mixes?

Do any of you use the packaged soup mixes (not just from  QVC)?

What do you add to make them more like homemade or do you serve 'as is'?

Regular Contributor

Re: Do you use packaged soup mixes?

The basis of a great soup doesn't come in cans or packages. It's all about a great stock. No, I don't use packages. 

Esteemed Contributor

You are absolutely correct, but at this point in the game it is "Good, Quick and Easy!"  No preservatives!

Trusted Contributor

I use the Bear Creek brand of 'instant' bag soups.  I always add more to the soups but they are fine 'as is' too.

Esteemed Contributor

I did when my kids were younger for the sake of time and convenience. Nowadays, I make my own and can't even remember the last time I opened a can or package of soup. I usually make enough for several meals because I am not a big fan of food prep. There is nothing more satisfying than a steaming hot bowl of vegetable or lentil soup on a cold winter day. Yum!😋

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Only chili mix which I jazz up to our liking.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills   Of course, I prefer homemade but I do use packaged soup mixes, or homemade "copycat" ones on occasion.  Since I discovered the Better Than Bouillion brand of soup base I use that, too, especially the low salt version when I can find it.

I also use canned condensed soups too, sometimes, instead of from scratch, in a recipe.

For my version of Lipton's chicken noodle I take four cups of water and measure the appropriate amount of chicken base, powdered or fresh garlic cloves, add 3/4 of a cup of cappelini pasta broken into small pieces and bring to a boil then simmer covered until pasta is almost cooked through then bring up to a vigorous boil again, add one scrambled egg poured through the tines of a fork, stir vigorously and add some dried parsley for "egg drop" soup.

Great quickie when I feel a head cold coming on.

Honored Contributor

No, I never use anything bagged, canned or boxed BUT I stopped making my own broth/stock for convenience sake. 

Too messy, not enough flavor and I loath picking that bird apart!  I always felt like I needed to add Better than Boullion anyways to get rich flavor.  That is loaded w/ sodium and I have been unable to find the low sodium ones locally.

Wegmans stock is fantastic AND is lower in sodium than Swanson LOW SODIUM broth!

Wouldn't have guessed that!

I LIVE on soup and make it several times during the week.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 that sounds wonderful and easy - love the addition of the egg. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I buy the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix to throw in the crock pot with cubed steaks, beef broth and cream of celery soup.  It makes a gravy for the cubed steaks.  I don't use any other soup mixes and use this one but not for actually making soup.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown