Honored Contributor

Do you use a recipe to make soup?

I don't. At our house soup is a way to clean out leftovers from the fridge instead of wasting them. For this reason, every soup I make is a little different.My DH likes leftover spaghetti soup - leftover spaghetti - cut up meatballs or sausage into bite size pieces - cut up the spaghetti noodles , add the sauce - add any left over veggies from the fridge - add a quart of beef broth, I like College Inn.If I have any cabbage I cut it up and microwave it to get it started cooking then add to the soup. Bring to a boil and let it simmer about a half hour.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use a recipe to make soup?

Yes, I'm not sure the ingredients I would put together would taste good when combined.  And my choice of herbs could prove unpalatable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rarely.  If it's something new like a recent carrot ginger soup, I used a recipe.  

Usually ... I'll start with stock and just add stuff until I think it looks and tastes great.

Honored Contributor

No, that's what's fun and easy about soup or stews. We love soup in our house and I have some kind of homemade soup in the fridge always in winter.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday since it was so cold, I decided to make stew. I browned the meat and threw the rest of the ingredients in my small nesco as usual. The finished product didn't taste as good as usual, but was ok. Later I realized I forgot onions !! Who does this ? The cold must be effecting my brain.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Not for chicken soup, but for cauliflower soup I do because I don't make it that often.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

I don't use a recipe for soup, but I am picky about what goes into them. I try to use fresh ingredients, though once in a while, especially during the winter months, some items like vegetables are frozen. I freeze some vegetable in the fall from my garden and use them, if possible. Many of my herbs come from my garden too.  I still have parsley under the snow and snip some a few times a week.

I never use canned broth or bullion cubes and never even purchased it. Most of the time, I use homemade noodles or pasta, though occasionally I use store bought. I have been known to use leftover mashed potatoes, stuffed peppers, ham or an already roasted chicken to make soup.

I always make several gallons at a time and my freezer is full with different varieties of soups and stocks.

It takes me most of the day to make a good soup, especially Italian wedding soup, and I  try to make at least two different kinds a week during the winter months.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, and I don’t consider myself much of a recipe follower, except with baking.   

The vegetable soup we’re eating now is made from canned venison, leftover vegetables, leftover beans, leftover macaroni and tomatoes, and leftover beefy onion gravy.  The only thing I added that wasn’t a leftover was beef broth, V8 juice, carrots and green pepper.  

Respected Contributor

never use a recipe. Example: hambone (leftover), dried navy beans, onions, carrots.   Most really good soups are very simple. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  I used to use meat & bones and make my own broths. Then we found out DH is diabetic and has very high cholesterol. I now buy low salt , fat free broth to make soup. Healthier for him - much healthier - and easy for me.