Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@ECBG,

That's where my mother always used bay leaves-in spaghetti sauce. They do have a wonderful flavor.

I did not know that they deter bugs and critters in the house! So glad to know that. I'm going to get a jar next time I get groceries.

@on the bay 

I don't know about the bug thing but I know Roach Proof is a powder you can pour a 1/2  tsp behind furniture, it's like candy to roaches and they carry it back to the nest.

Trusted Contributor

Beef stew woudn't be stew to me without the bay leaf. I'll use it in some other soups. I like the flavor, I should probably try in some other things.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG, I use roach traps.

I never wanted to use a powder or borac acid cause of pets and young kids and babies.

I do love the idea of bay leaves-even better!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@ECBG, I use roach traps.

I never wanted to use a powder or borac acid cause of pets and young kids and babies.

I do love the idea of bay leaves-even better!

@on the bay 

Actually, you can put some in a metal bottle cap (they have low sides).  It isn't poisonous unless you eat a lot, yet it is to a roach. 

I poured 1/2 tsp behind the laundry hampers, behind the range and refrigerator as well as the washer and dryer.  anywhere furniture is pushed up against the wall.

The back corners of the bathroom cabinets. 

It doesn't go inert and I haven't seen a roach in decades.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

Forgot to mention, the roaches run all through it and carry it back to the nest.  It's kind of like the "Raid bug spray" commercial!

Contributor

My husband orders spices off of Amazon and gets big bags of bay leaves.  They are fresh and always on hand.  Since he likes to cook, I don't  care what he puts them in as long as I get to eat a tasty dish and don't have to  cook!  I would rather load the dishwasher, than cook HA!

Honored Contributor

I've long wondered the same thing and have left them out of recipes more often than not.  Last week,  I used a beef stew recipe that called for two bay leaves. I happened to have a fresh package, so I added them.  I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the leaves, but I have to say it was the best beef stew I've ever made.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Yes I use Bay Leaf in roasts and goulash.  It adds a heady smoky flavor.  No dont eat the leaf.  I dont dig around in the food to find it, but my family knew if the got the bay leaf to discard it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)