Respected Contributor

The only time I use Bay leaves is to drop one or two into the  flour container on my shelf. It keeps the bugs away, especially in summer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use Bay Leaf?

[ Edited ]

Living in the deep South (GA) with bugs aplenty, I've always been taught to spread them around the pantry to ward off critters, works great!

I replace them every summer.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use Bay Leaf?

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I never knew there were people who don't use bay leaves.

****I once tried ground bay leaves, but the flavor wasn't nearly as good.

Oh gosh @PickyPicky3 

I LOVE ground/powdered bay leaves and find the wonderful flavor to be WAY more intense that the leaves!

I would triple how many leaves a recipe suggests as just a couple is almost undetectable to me. 

I have always used the leaves and use them a lot...in my sauces, stews...etc

I simmer my sauce for hours....the bay leaves are never stiff and hard.  Them are soft and pliable.....always removed, but they aren't going to hurt you any if consumed once cooked.  I've accidently eaten several over my life span!  Still here!  LOL

However, when I want to really enhance the flavor, I use my Powdered Bay Leaves.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife   Maybe it was an off-bottle. What brand do you use?

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@RespectLife   Maybe it was an off-bottle. What brand do you use?

I am currently using Badia....but have also used The Spice Way.

Both available at Amz

Honored Contributor

Years ago, I made a lot of slits all over a Boston Butt roast and inserted whole bay leaves.  Although, it was very good, I didn't like the amount of fat and never made it again.

I do use a lot of bay leaves in my spaghetti sauce. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, use it alot .

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I never knew there were people who don't use bay leaves.

****I once tried ground bay leaves, but the flavor wasn't nearly as good.

@PickyPicky3   We all learn something new everyday don't we?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG,

That's where my mother always used bay leaves-in spaghetti sauce. They do have a wonderful flavor.

I did not know that they deter bugs and critters in the house! So glad to know that. I'm going to get a jar next time I get groceries.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

I see bay leaf in recipes but I leave it out. My questions are: does it really add anything to the taste? And it is "dangerous" as I have heard you have to remove it before eating? thanks.

@mormel20 

So ...  what do you think now?  You got a lot of interesting responses, but haven't commented.