Respected Contributor

Re: Do you use Bay Leaf?

[ Edited ]

That is one ingredient that I've never used.  But I may buy some if it deters bugs and hopefully that includes spiders.  

Honored Contributor

I use them in my spaghetti sauceSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you use Bay Leaf?

[ Edited ]

I never knew there were people who don't use bay leaves.

****I once tried ground bay leaves, but the flavor wasn't nearly as good.

Honored Contributor

Bay leaves give certain dishes like beef stew a delicious, distinctive taste.  I wouldn't cook without them.

Put one in your flour canister and you'll never have weevils.  It doesn't flavor the flour at all.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

I see bay leaf in recipes but I leave it out. My questions are: does it really add anything to the taste? And it is "dangerous" as I have heard you have to remove it before eating? thanks.

@mormel20  Yes, I use bay leaf. There is a distinct flavor that it imparts. I can't make a stew or homemade chicken soup without them.

I don't know if they are "dangerous" per se to eat but you wouldn't want to. They remain stiff and hard no matter how long you cook them. Removing them is the way to do it when cooking with them.

If you think about it, if they don't break down in cooking, well, I don't want that going through my stomach and intestines. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I use them in many recipes, just remove them when cooking is finished.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@mormel20 

Bay leaves have been used for thousands of years to add another layer of flavor in cooking. They are removed only because they remain stiff and unpalatable, not because they are dangerous.

I'm curious where you read they are a danger.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@mormel20 wrote:

I see bay leaf in recipes but I leave it out. My questions are: does it really add anything to the taste? And it is "dangerous" as I have heard you have to remove it before eating? thanks.

@mormel20  Yes, I use bay leaf. There is a distinct flavor that it imparts. I can't make a stew or homemade chicken soup without them.

I don't know if they are "dangerous" per se to eat but you wouldn't want to. They remain stiff and hard no matter how long you cook them. Removing them is the way to do it when cooking with them.

If you think about it, if they don't break down in cooking, well, I don't want that going through my stomach and intestines. Woman Wink

@Queen of shop 

There are many things that are used for flavor, but removed or just not consumed .... cinnamon sticks, whole cloves ... or bay leaves.

Respected Contributor

Bay leaves, because of their large, yet thin shape, should be removed because if swallowed could block the windpipe and prove a choking hazard.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Queen of shop wrote:

@mormel20 wrote:

@Queen of shop 

There are many things that are used for flavor, but removed or just not consumed .... cinnamon sticks, whole cloves ... or bay leaves.

@Tinkrbl44  Yes, those too. Thank you.Smiley Happy