Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think you're good at eating proper portions?

After I was diagnosed with Diabetes, it took me no time to figure out yes, I really had to fill up with fiber above all else because on a 1200 calorie diet, portions on meat and starches are limited. 

Most of us build meals around those two micronutrients: non-starchy vegetables were something you were supposed to eat-not build a meal around! 

I knew my life-yes, my life and my health today and what it's going to be tomorrow depends on what I eat.  I learned very quickly the "how to" , felt better and lost weight: 80 pounds.....and I did it painlessly and without deprivation.

I have a new relationship with food and there are delicious alternatives.

I had a kitchen scale going into this (very handy for recipes that use the metric system), brushed off the dust and put it to use while at home.  They say the size of a serving of meat is one that could fit in the palm of your hand.  I quickly discovered that my little palm can hold six ounces: that is double the amount of the prescribed 3 ounces!

Measuring cups were another thing I started using. 

Do what works for you, but I really found that by starting a meal off with nutrient dense foods ( a colorful salad for example-and with a few additions is one of my favorite meals), the rest takes care of itself.  The cravings stopped-and at last I feel that I have been able to separate emotions from food.

Do I still have "bad for you" food?  I would be telling a lie if I said "no", but I keep those few and far between.  Honestly, I like my versions better.  For example, kale chips with vegan cheese are not only delicious, but they are far more satisfying than potato chips.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I'm mostly guided by the fact that I hate that over-full feeling.  I tend to eat small amounts of food several times throughout the day.  When making something for myself or taking a portion of something out of a container (like ice cream, for instance), I always take less or make less than I think I will want.  I find that I get just as satisfied on that amount as I would have on the larger portion (maybe my eyes are bigger than my belly).  I also sit and eat very slowly and enjoy every bite!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Only at Thanksgiving and Christmas do I go over the norm. 

For everyday I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, I do not eat between meals, and since I live alone I make my dinner early and set aside for when I am hungry later in the night.   No cooking or plating of food while hungry.   Lots of little things help.   The best help is try to cook instead of bringing in take-out ect.......

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I really, really try.  I do measure things out like snackfoods such as pretzels, popcorn, nuts.  I measure things I need to watch but things like veggies, no.

Respected Contributor

I am very disciplined about portion control. I had Gastric Bypass in 2010. My measuring cups and digital scale are my best friends in the kitchen. I also make good choices .

Honored Contributor

I generally know and am aware of proper portions since I have been on many diets over the years.  However, I generally choose to ignore them.  Not right, but that's the truth.  When I see what the size of a proper portion of pasta is --- my eyes just get really big and I go --- what?  oh, no, that's gotta be a mistake.  I never, ever, just stick with that amount.  Sadly!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

No...

Honored Contributor

I eat relatively healthy food and no fast food.  I do eat out frequently and also love to cook.  If I did better on portion control I would be thin!

Trusted Contributor

I would say yes because I find that as I've gotten older (65), I just can't eat as much as I used to. When I'm eating at home, I take smaller servings than I used to but I know that I do not have to finish eating everything on my plate (I think that a lot of us were taught as kids that we had to eat what we had on our plates). In a restaurant, I do the same, with the idea that I can have things boxed up to take with me if I choose. That's my portion control.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I am good at portion size.  Not only can I not eat that much anymore anyway, but especially if I'm eating something that is not good for me, I use small containers/plates/bowls for foods and that's how much I can have.