Honored Contributor

Well, it happened last night.

I had bought hamburger and wanted to use it for dinner. Found a new recipe that I wanted to try. The recipe called for cooking pasta and adding egg, butter and Parmesan cheese and press it into the bottom of a pie pan. Then put a layer of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. And make a tomato and hamburger sauce. And eventually cover with mozzarella cheese.

I hadn't started to cook yet and my husband said he was going to meet guys he used to work with at a bar. No problem, an employee just died and someone is retiring. So I can understand that they have alot to talk about.

I still had to make something for my son. So I still had to cook a dinner.

Made it and it was cooking in the oven. My husband came home and he had eaten at the bar. No problem, I expected that he would.

Then it was done and still no son. I asked my husband if our son texted him. My husband looked at his phone. He said, yes. Son had texted and said he would be going out with his friends for dinner and would be home late.

Because husband was out with friends at the bar,  he had not noticed that he had received the text.

At that point I got ******. My brave husband said "Want me to eat some of what you made for dinner?" And I replied (rather loudly) "No"! "I hate to cook!" So he promptly retreated.

I ate what I made. It was rather good. And figured it would just be more for me to eat today. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Then husband tried again to have a civil conversation. I had enjoyed what I ate so my mood was also civil. Guess having food that you enjoy in your belly helps elevate your mood.

We are going out to dinner tonight.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Best post I've read all day and good story and it made me laugh!! You handled it brilliantly.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I like cooking and we go out to eat very seldom, it has to be a good occasion for that, and since my husband had open heart surgery and should only have low salt, going out to eat always has a lot of salt, so even when I need broth, I make my own, I cook the chicken bones for about an hour, with parsley, basil, some veggies etc. and very little salt or none at all, and it tastes very good, better than the ones we used to buy. Since my husband has a Traeger Grill, he loves to make all kinds of meats on there, and even potatoes, and I just make the stove foods like potatoes, salads, or anything else to make the meal complete. We work as a team. I am 82 and he is 83 and we will be married 58 years this August. We don't buy convenienced foods.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla your spaghetti pie sounds wonderful. Glad you were able to enjoy it once the bad mood lightened.

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone make their own bread? I do and have for many years.  Health breads, not white.

Honored Contributor

I really enjoy cooking for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries but I never liked day to day cooking.  I didn't like it as a young sahm either.  I never liked house cleaning either.  My mom thought I was nuts....lol.  She loved grocery shopping. Cooking, baking, canning, cleaning and talking about it all....lol.   She never understood why my younger sister and I were so different from her in that regard.  Now my niece cooks and when it's my turn, we eat out or I use Ubereats and have something delivered from a nice restaurant.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you still cook?

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean wrote:

Anyone make their own bread? I do and have for many years.  Health breads, not white.

12 years ago I gave my husband a bread maker (machine) and he makes such good bread that I don't think we've had store-bought bread more than a few times since then. And, yes, we don't bother with white bread; if I get a hankering for that soft, squishy white bread that I had as a kid--the kind that you could compress into a ball, it was so soft--I buy a loaf at Safeway.

Esteemed Contributor

We used to eat out a lot more than we do now.  I suppose many people can say that.  I was never very much of a cook, and that has not changed in the many years I have been married.

Due to trying to lose a few pounds, and being, well, lazy, my DH and I often just nibble at a few things and call that dinner.

I don't hate to cook, I would just rather do something else.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Enjoy reading all the peoples comments.When I had a husband who worked very hard,my kids,that was many years back I enjoyed cooking.Now that I am alone. I just don't cook.I tell myself an friends I cooked for many years,not anymore!

Valued Contributor

"Guess having food that you enjoy in your belly helps elevate your mood."

So true!