Honored Contributor

DH is old school and so he feels we must have an evening meal.  But, for the most part it's not what it was.  Admittedly, what we eat a lot of the times is not the best and/or the healthiest, but it's easier.  A lot of frozen and or things which are prepared already, as opposed to the cooking from scratch thing.  We don't go out and eat any more since covid - I shouldn't say we don't go out to eat ever, but it's so rare that it doesn't even count.  We rarely ever eat fastfood either.  If it were up to me, I'd probably for the most part just eat fruit, a salad, a bagel or things like that instead of meals.  Food which I used to love and crave I don't even care about any more.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

I'm in my 70's, married 40+ years, empty nester and I try to avoid actual cooking as much as I can. I used to enjoy cooking for friends and family but not so much anymore; it's such a chore. I'd live on cheese and crackers if I could.

I really feel like I've served my sentence and done my time I and just don't want to go through the drudgery any more. If I had someone to do all the prep and clean-up, I might feel differently. 

Anyone else feel like this?

I'm 88 live alone and I cook all my meals. I love to try making new dishes, and some I like some never gets a second chance. I made an onion blossom the other day, and the dipping sauce for it, delious, I get recipes off of computer, print and have 3 books full. Maybe a hobby thing for me.

Respected Contributor

Yes, yes, I say, hand waving wildly.

I've been married 38 years and been cooking for all of it. Hub does clean up and many other things. But I have never enjoyed it, I'd rather read or do just about anything else (except food shopping) but it's a necessary evil.

Thankfully, he is grateful for anything and everything I make. I try to make a big meal and have leftovers for another night or two. My meals have gotten quicker and simpler and that's not a bad thing.

My brother was an executive chef and I remember as a little child, he'd climb up on a stool and start cooking on the stove! How I wish I had some of his talent. He makes the best meals I've ever had. My favorite was a mushroom sandwich that rivaled the finest meat. I have none of his skill....

Respected Contributor

I cook.  A family of 3 with all different tastes.  I hate coming up with meal ideas.  So difficult to please everyone and it's just 3 of us.  My husband likes meat, beef to be exact.  I can do without that.  I find myself making the same things over and over again.  We don't eat out often.  If we do, it's for a special occassion or we're just getting Chinese food or pizza.  I do love pizza!  The cost of eating out is ridiculous.  I had a favorite BBQ place that I would like to go to on my birthday but last time we were there, just about their entire menu, in regards to ribs or any of the meat items, were marked "market price."  

Honored Contributor

We are also a family of 3. And I no longer enjoy cooking. One person will not eat tomatoes, onions, eggplant, mushrooms and peppers. The other person likes rare  meat. I like mine well done. 

I try numerous different recipes and more often than not they do not care for it. 

And we are now getting a house guest staying at our house for a unknown amount of time. He is SO particular. If I am cooking and I need to use red wine vinegar. He insists that I open a new bottle. He will only eat fresh food. And if we didn't buy the food that day, he doesn't want to eat it. And going out to eat it just as tough. He complains about everything. Plus he has never picked up a check, for all the years he has been doing this.

I am tired of all the "special needs" everyone has. 

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

If i were you I would call a strike, esp for the house guest. He is beyond rude ! Give him the telephone # of the nearest hotel or motel. 

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

We are also a family of 3. And I no longer enjoy cooking. One person will not eat tomatoes, onions, eggplant, mushrooms and peppers. The other person likes rare  meat. I like mine well done. 

I try numerous different recipes and more often than not they do not care for it. 

And we are now getting a house guest staying at our house for a unknown amount of time. He is SO particular. If I am cooking and I need to use red wine vinegar. He insists that I open a new bottle. He will only eat fresh food. And if we didn't buy the food that day, he doesn't want to eat it. And going out to eat it just as tough. He complains about everything. Plus he has never picked up a check, for all the years he has been doing this.

I am tired of all the "special needs" everyone has. 

@drizzellla ...Bless your heart.  You mention this has been going on for years, so maybe now is the time to put a stop to it.  Just ignore him and cook the way you want to.   I don't know what the relationship is to you but this is just wrong.  Please be kind to yourself and stop this rudeness.

Regular Contributor

Married 49 yrs and I have been tired of cooking for some time now. If it were up to me I'd "graze" during day and never cook. Hubby enjoys food so I try to give him a meal 3-4 days a week. Nothing special and nothing that takes a lot of prep. He thanks me everyday for whatever "meal" I put in front of him.

Honored Contributor

Yes I still cook--only me and DD now. But I am using more pre made things than before--not boxed stuff, just things that are already chopped and /or are frozen. I have such a tiny kitchen and counter space now and my refer is tiny too, so have can't over buy or store much.  We order out a couple times a week too. Meals are simple but nutritious.

Regular Contributor

MaverDaver, you are just like me. I'd rather "graze" all day, too. And when I get downright bored with food then I won't eat anything because I just don't know what I want. It is challenging to come up with meals that are different instead of eating the same old thing.