Regular Contributor

When baking cakes I do not sift my flour. For those of you that do sift, do you think it actually makes a different in the finished product? If you think it really does matter I might try it next time. 

Respected Contributor

I don't sift, but I do fluff it up a bit with a spoon. I can't tell a difference between now and when I did sift.

Honored Contributor

@mormel20 

Always and for everything.

The reason being, if I don't, there might be teeny 'lumps' of flour.

Itsy little flour balls are often left in my sieve/sifter which I dump.

Respected Contributor

Sure...if the recipe says to.

Or if I want something to come light and fluffy.

I'm no expert baker, and I'd love to hear from the ones who are more experienced...but yes, I do find it makes a difference.

I believe these things were done for a reason, and baking is such a science that it makes sense if they say to do it, there's a reason, and a result!

Other things where I might think it doesn't matter if it's denser, I don't bother. Like I made scones last week and didn't sift.

Instructions didn't say to, either.

I wish I had one of those old timey metal sifters...like an anitque one. But I have a small kitchen and don't need to collect more gadgets! So I just use my metal handheld strainer.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember my mother always did when I was growing up.  She even had that metal gadget that shifted the flour.  For me I never did.

Respected Contributor

Of course I "sift" flour. Use a wisp.

FYI..............Baking is an exact science.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you sift flour?

[ Edited ]

@Luvitorleaveit1 

Like this?  They still sell them and I use it when I have large amounts....otherwise I use a sieve.  $5 at Wally, WAY cheaper than Amz

Flour Sifter, 3 Cup Flour Sifter for Baking Fine Mesh Rotary Hand Crank with Loop Agitator for Quick Sifting, Flour Sifter...

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife - yep that's it.  Thanks for the memories.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you sift flour?

[ Edited ]

No, but I don't make things that call for sifting flour.  

**Sifting flour was essential many years ago before the refining process emerged to what it is today.  Our mothers and grandmothers were sifting to not only get a finer product for their cooking/baking, but also to remove bugs and other impurities that were in the flour sacks.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I still sift my flour. I remember my mom and grandma using the metal sifter. I have a plastic one. The flour looks finer and fluffier to me after sifting. Not sure if it really makes a difference, but I continue to do it out of habit.